What does your three year old know?

Does he know the ABC's and how to pronounce each letter? How about numbers? Does he know how to work your smart phone? Does he learn things pretty quickly?

mellyhayes

Asked by mellyhayes at 10:43 PM on Nov. 25, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He learns pretty quickly. He knows his ABC's and can pronounce most of the letters, he can count to 20. He can operate my iphone and can work our netflix and PS3 if he wants to. He is pretty smart, he picks up on things fast. We have some issues with textures and getting him to tell us what is bugging him because he tends to panic.
    shesliketx

Answer by shesliketx at 10:48 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• My 2 year old knows the ABCs and the sound each letter makes. She can count to 15. She recently figured out how to unlock the iPod.
    She is easily frustrated...very smart, but easily frustrated which is her biggest obstacle when learning new things.
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 10:56 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• My son just turned 4. He has known his abc's since he was 2, upper and lowercase. We are now working on letter sounds, most of which he knows. He knows numbers, can count to 40 and identify numbers up to 30. We are working on simple addition/subtraction. He knows how to work my iPhone and kindle and he can use the comouter/mouse with some accuracy. He also plays wii with his older brother. He picks things up very quickly just from watching/listening.

Answer by missanc at 11:00 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• My DD is 3 1/2. She could sing the ABCs since she was 22 months old, and could count to 20 then as well. Now, she can recognize all the letters, most numbers to 20. And can do simple addition and subtraction. She has had an iPad since 7 months and has been working it on her own since then. She is also teaching herself french with some apps on the iPad. I thought she really wasnt learning, but when we were in france this summer, she was able to understand a lot.
    Her iPad is the only "video game" type thing we allow so far.
    She is a very quick learner.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:07 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• My 3yo dd knows her abcs and their sounds and can count to 20. She's worked my phone since age 1.5 and uses my laptop to play games as well as the kindle fire. She can write the letters in her name. She just rollerskated for the first time today. She has a 13 yo sister so she wants to do everything big sis does. lol.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2012

• Yes. All that and more.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:47 AM on Nov. 26, 2012

• my 27 months old is a fast learner. About my phone ? No, we don't have smartphones.
    About his ABC and numbers ? No, we don't teach him so ...

Talking ? Yes, he does a lot of talking and we can understand him really well.

Playing ? Yes, he does a lot of playing and imitating. And IMO it's what his important for a 2 or 3 year old. :) They will have time to learn more soon. Oh and here preschool starts at 3 y/o so he will have time to learn lots of things next september.
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 5:12 AM on Nov. 26, 2012

• My twin sons turned 4 at the end of the summer. As 3 year olds, they knew a lot. Not really the things you asked about, though. We don't have smart phones. (Recently I started showing them some Little Bear episodes & they observed how to turn on the TV, open the DVD player to add or remove a disc, etc.) We purposely haven't emphasized ABCs or numbers, so while they demonstrate strong memorization, they haven't memorized that abstract information. They can recite poems, songs & long passages from books.
    They do some basic counting from hearing us count stairs, or hearing ascending numbers in songs like "This Old Man," or from counting objects/people (they have good awareness of one-to-one correspondence, and understand quantity, but haven't focused on memorizing the sequence of numbers.) They do identify some letters (on sight) from puzzles.
    They learn very quickly & have rich, nuanced, expressive vocabularies (many synonyms.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:17 AM on Nov. 27, 2012

• I no longer have a 3 year old... But each child is completely different.
    I think it's best for them to learn respect and good manners first off and then focus on the three "R's"... It's like a baby learning to walk.. They will eventually learn to walk and will continue to walk the rest of their lives... It doesn't matter if they walk at 9 months or 17 months...
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• She knows too much stuff. She knows how to use the laptop mouse and put the computer to sleep. She knows how to play on my iphone. She has known her abc's for awhile and numbers. She talks alot and wants to know new things all the time. Right now is interesting in reading at night time so every night I read her a book. I know it will come in time to sound out letters and such and she might know some but as long as she is progressing it's fine. She just started a new preschool and I see that she is learning trace over how to write her name. Oh she has known how to spell it for a long time. All children are different and I know she is fine and that is all that matters right now because she is only little once.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:06 AM on Nov. 28, 2012