Any of you use baby sign language?

I was thinking about teaching my daughter baby signing. Have any of you out there used it? How do you go about starting it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i used it with my daughter.
    we didn't use it for very long, though because shortly after we started it she began talking.
    we started at about 5 months. i got my materials from my local library. they had a book with flashcards for each sign but as long as you are consistent you can use variations on the signs.
    the important thing is that you and everyone in your household use the same signs when communicating with your little one.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• No, never did, and have friends who have done, and their babies ended up talking quite late.

I think there is so much to learn at that age, adding signs on for words that they already need to know is just, distracting. And of little use.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:36 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Yes it is great. I'm a grandmother and I loved it. It really helps communication when they are very young. They can tell if they want their milk and food. It is great. And do not stop as they get older it helps to communicate while you are out in a restaurant at the movie etc.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:41 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Not true! kids will talk early if you do it right. You use the word with the sign. Not distraction at all. It can be fun and great for bonding.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I have the baby sign book that my mom got me for a gift...I can't agree really with the talking late. I don't think that has anything to do with it...i like it because I would rather sign than hear the whine.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I teach baby sign language so obviously i use it with both and my first daughter now 3 was speaking in complete sentences by 1 if not before and now is a very articulate three year old. if you use the word with the sign and not just the sign which most people do not understand, you have to look the baby in the eyes and do the sign and word and continue it, don't just use the sign which is what most people do and say oh my babies talked late. many of my customers have had or do have early talkers.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 4:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• No I didn't use baby sign, nor do I recommend it. If you want to teach sign language, teach ASL.

We used ASL with all three of our boys. There are so many benefits, the major one being they can communicate before they can talk.

It didn't interfere with my sons' speaking...my oldest was holding full conversations at 18 months, my second does have an articulation delay, but his vocabulary is way above his age level.

My youngest does have a severe speech delay, but neither I nor his speech therapist feels ASL has anything to do with it.

Besides...with ASL they're learning another actual language! There is one sign taught in this area with baby sign that means something BAD in ASL...so if you do use baby sign, be careful when using those signs around the deaf....you may offend (or worse) someone.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• in addition to the pp the baby sign i teach is ASL as i am fluent in it due to numerous friends and one bf who was hearing impaired. sorry wanted to make that clear.
    and yup its great they know a second language my three year old still knows it and is continuing to learn it. its a great benefit
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 6:41 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Okay...but there is "Baby Sign" which isn't ASL. Sorry...when I hear using "baby sign" I think that, not ASL...HUGE difference!!!

The creator of Baby Sign claims babies/children can't learn ASL. HA! Then how do deaf children learn to communicate? Duh.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I have a friend who has used ASL with her son and he speaks very well for his age. Anyhow I was also wondering what age to start it at?
    rena_goldmoon

Answer by rena_goldmoon at 3:01 AM on Feb. 12, 2009