Did you take a breastfeeding class?

I'm signed up for a breastfeeding class tonight but I"m not sure I want to go (I'm really tired after work). I'm 36 wks. pregnant and this is my first kid. Do you think I need to go? Other moms I talked to didn't take one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No I never did, but then again I didn't go into parenthood thinking "Well I'll give breastfeeding my best shot." - I knew I would breastfeed, there would be nothing to stop me, of course, I'm a mammal (heh.)

Personally, I think the La Leche League meetings have a more positive affect than a class.

That, and read The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding from cover to cover.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Shoot - forgot to add I'm still happily breastfeeding my 16 month old. ;)
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• No you don't need to go (IMO). Breastfeeding is natural and you can actually read what you need to know online or in books if you think you need to.
    I didn't take a class or anything myself and I had my daughter on a holiday so there was no lactation consultant on staff. We had to figure everything out on our own and my daughter was quite stubborn :) . I think your natual instinct will be great :).
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 4:43 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• It can't hurt to go. I had a really hard time breastfeeding and ended up going to a breastfeeding support group offered at our hospital when my daughter was 2 days old. It was a life saver for me. I went every week for almost a year and it really helped to keep me going. I BF her until she was 11 months I wouldn't have if I hadn't gone to the support group. For me Breastfeeding was extremely painful but that isn't the norm I'm sure you will have no problem!!

Winter711

Answer by Winter711 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I went to a BFing class before my son was born (first child). I was pretty familiar with tips and techniques beforehand because most of my friends and two of my SILs had babies, so I was able to watch them and see what worked and what didn't. Either way, it was a nice class to go to. I went without my husband because I didn't think he'd care to go, haha.

I had a hard time BFing when I got home. The only advice I can give you is to go see a lactation consultant immediately if you need to. My son had a huge appetite and it hurt so bad to BF. I ended up quitting when he was 2 weeks and pumped instead. I did that for 2 more weeks and then switched him to formula at 4 weeks.

For the next child, I'm going to try harder to BF but if it doesn't work well like with my son, then I have no problem switching to formula. But I'll probably go see a lact. consultant first :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I did go to one that was through the local WIC office. It was only another young mom and me, I thought it was pretty good.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 5:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I would go. I felt the same the night of my class, but boy am I glad I went! There were little things that I just didn't know about bf'ing. I didn't take a class with my first child, and I had a really rough time bf'ing him and stopped after only 2 months. I think the class did alot of good for me. I breastfed my 2nd son for 10 months. Good luck :D
    myfamilymylife2

Answer by myfamilymylife2 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• i took a class at the health department and it didn't really help me.
    listen to what ladysavage said and check out your local LLL.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I did not have the option on my son, but I wish I knew then what they are teaching now. There is allot of great valuable tips that are given and if you have the option to go, I would strongly suggest making the effort. They have ways to make it a smoother transaction with less pain, for the first time Mom's. The tips were helpful with my second child and I feel them valuable. Many hospitals and doctors will send you to classes for free - just ask.
    Cuddlesbear

Answer by Cuddlesbear at 5:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I didn't take one, and I didn't have any problem nursing. I do know people that have had problems though, and LLL helped them. Also, I did have a book called The Womanly Art of Nursing, and there's a LOT of good info in it - some of it (family bed, etc) wasn't for me, but there was still a lot of really great info.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2009