What do I do? SHe WILL NOT take a sippy cup :( and im getting frustrated. I even tried to drink out of it myself to show her thats what big girls do :(

LuvsDanika

Asked by LuvsDanika at 4:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try another sippy. We went through 5 of them before my oldest would take it. We used the NUBY cup. I ended up pinching it to get it in his mouth so he knew there was something to come out of that thing! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• mine wouldn't take a sipy cup either, i got the kind that has a straw and that is all she will drink out of.
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 4:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I checked on your profile to see how old your little one was, at 8 months old it's ok for her to not be taking a sippy cup...just keep offering it to her if you think she needs one at this age, my kids still drank from a bottle at this age, the sippy cup came later
    Anonymous

• My doc told me to give her juice only from a sippy cup and i just dont want her to howl at me when she finds out i give it to her in a bottle
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 4:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• oh dont worry..... i know doctors and dentists always encourage us to introduce the sippy cup at a very early stage...... but its normal for the baby not to take the sippy cup...... i introduced the sippy cup to my baby , shes turning one next month and is still not taking it!!! my older child didnt take it until he was about 14 months old....... so its normal...
    Anonymous

• She needs to see put the milk in her cup. She will cry for the bottle just give the cup. My son was also the same way. I also throw out the bottles, so we both had no choice. He was 18-months old when I did this. Before that age just let them play with the cup till they get use to it.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 4:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• LOL i put milk into it and squirted it into her mouth, still nothing!
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 4:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My daughter can't use a sippy yet either and she is 10 months old. I give her a cup with a straw and she does really good using that.
    Anonymous

• No worries, just keep a sippy of water available throughout the day. Eventually, she will get it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• She's your baby, do what you want and don't worry whether your doctor howls at you. LOL She'll get over it. Besides every baby is different. Maybe the sippy lid feels awkard to her because of teething or who knows what. Just trust your instincts and be patient with her. She'll come around.

Perhaps at meal time or snack time you can offer her a bottle with water and a sippy cup with milk or juice and let her choose. Be sure to tell her what is in each. I firmly believe they understand many more words than they let us know about at this age.
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 5:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2009