do any of you know??

do any of you know/or have used cast iron skillets or dutch ovens before what it takes to keep them working good??

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 4:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Check out this link, I think it will answer your question for you. I found it to be very informative.
    http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/4688/cast-iron_skillet.htm

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I think you are just supposed to wipe them down and not wash them because the water will rust them, you can place them in a very hot oven for 20 min after you wipe them real well, and rub a little oil on the inside to condition it, the heat helps to sanitize it, good luck...
    MsMESSx2

Answer by MsMESSx2 at 8:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• What I was always taught, that worked very well on mine, was to season it: wipe it wil veggie oil inside and out, stick in in a 350* oven for about 2 hours. And to always wash it in just plain water, no soap.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:39 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I "season" mine with a bit of crisco on the inside and place in a low oven or on the gas burner on very low heat for an hour or two...makes a nice smooth seal on them. Water is the enemy of iron..you will get rust.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2009