Everyone hates the names my husband and i like they think most are weird =/ are they right??

I know I shouldn't completely care what people think and should do what hubby and i feel is right, but when our families constantly ask why we can't name our kids John or timothy. Sarah or Nicole, i start wondering if our names really are that bad.

First off i know these aren't extremely common for the most part thats why we like them, i just want to know if all are really that bad

Allegra (there beef is it's an allergy med, I think of how it means cheerful and how it has the cute nick name allie)
Amity (Means friendship, they think of amityville horror)
Bellamy
Briony
Briar (they say briars like out in the woods, I think of briar rose, sleeping beauty)
Cosette
Felicity (This so far is our favorite, they just don't like it, no real reason given)
Ginevra (love nick name, gigi and ginny)
Harlowe
Ivy
Matilda (they say it sounds like a cow. we like nick name Millie)
Olive (they say olive oil)
Portia (they reference the car but we think of shakespear)
Scarlet

boys

Atticus (they hate it)
Aydis (they hate it)
Calder
Coular (Kohl-er we like nick name cole)
Demetri
Dorian (said sounds like girls name)
Euan (pro U-en) they hate it...
Jensen
Judah
Killian (don't like cause of "kill" )
River (don't like cause of river)
Silas

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2012 in Baby Names

• Call YOUR baby what feels right in your heart. Most people will hold their manners once the baby arrives and is announced as being called "X". Names are so personal. You can't please everyone. Please yourselves. Choose a name that appeals to who you are as parents and the character image you feel the baby's name portrays. Listen to your heart. Best wishes!

In case it helps, Felicity is GORGEOUS! Also, Ivy is adorable. For boys the names River, Judah and Dorian are perfect.
    Colourful

Answer by Colourful at 12:41 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• Felicity is a beautiful name! So is Silas.
    Most of the criticisms I understand, but if you like a name its ok, just remember your kid will probably hear these criticisms too, and they are stuck with it.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:43 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• Atticus river dorian and lillian are great! I had a briar naomi flowers last november( briar means a flowerless thorned bush mainly referring to plants in the rose family) and I really like ivy and bellamy is kind of cool but there are a lot of bellas out or on their way. You guys have awesome names
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 12:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• That's a pretty long list, so there are some I really like and some that fall flat for me.... My rule of thumb is if you have to tell someone how to pronounce a name, or explain it in any way, then its a no. Why burden a kid with that???
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• I mental killian not lillian
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 12:45 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• I understand what you mean about the pronunciation. I feel like some of the names when said its easy to pronounce them but there are a few that if you haven't heard them pronounced it might be hard just by reading it. I'm not really sure how else you would pronounce Aydis or even Coular or Euan but i threw in the pronunciation just in case ;)

we really love Felicity Cosette or Felicity Allegra

WE also like Atticus Jude or Aydis Jude for a boy like the nick name AJ as well

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• I think along the lines of your family, which means others will too. I would not set your child up with a name that is going to get them teased (Allegra or briar!). A couple of the names listed aren't bad, ivy or Judah, but the rest are weird.

Answer by missanc at 12:51 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• Atticus is my nephew's name, it is very unique and sounds great with a J middle name (his is James) and we DO all call him AJ :)

Felicity is a BEAUTIFUL name and anyone who doesn't think so is crazy :P lol, I really like Ivy and Matilda as well, and Briony is cute but a little hard for some people to pronounce or figure out
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:56 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• I agree about the first two girls names but like ALL the others.
    As for the boys, some of those are kinda out there. Why not just call him Cole? I respectfully dislike the first two here as well. But I know an Atticus here that is an awful sociopathic kid. My bias. Some names that are so unique and hard to pronounce lose their appeal just because they aren't functional. You don't want your child made fun of because their name is way out there. But I like River and Killian. Whatever, you have to be happy!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:57 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• Name your kid waht you want.

Answer by louise2 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 26, 2012