My son has a MAJOR attitude problem!!!

My son is almost 6. It seems like everything I or anyone else says to him, his response always has some sort of attitude. And frankly, it's getting on my last nerve!!! Also, he's extremely bossy, always telling everyone what to do, and never asking. No matter how many times I remind him he has to ask for things he wants. PLEASE HELP!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Nov. 26, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell him there are consequences for a nasty, disrespectful attitude. Then follow through with a solid punishment (whatever you choose, no screen time, no playdates, whatever). Do this every time.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:09 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• When my kids would try this, I simply wouldn't hear them. I would tell them I dont hear snotty voices, and then I wouldn't. Whenever they'd ask for something in a snotty way ( ie; demand) I wouldn't hear it, and just go about my business. If they said something snotty when I gave them something, Id take it back and walk away. A snotty attitude made them instantly invisible. They learned to shape up fast...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:24 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• Sounds like some tough love is in order. It will be harder to change this behavior than to teach it. I agree with Nimue930. No responses for rude requests.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 4:33 PM on Nov. 26, 2012