where should you hide in case of a tornado and you do not have a basement?

dakota12674

Asked by dakota12674 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 26, 2012 in Adult Children (18+)

• Usually a bathroom or an innermost room of the building, away from windows and outside walls if possible.
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 1:20 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• I was going to say tub.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• An inside room that has no exterior doors or windows, if possible (we would use a walk in closet that we have). I think bathrooms are supposed to be okay, but it seems like you're supposed to do something else if you're in the tub - maybe pull a mattress over yourself? I'm not sure.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:33 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• Closet

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• Bathroom or room with no windows. Use a blanket or mattress to cover your head if possible. If you live in an apartment building, you can go to the inner hallway on the lowest level (if there are no windows).
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• Interior room with no widows, like a closet. First floor.  Not by a outer wall.

Mine is my master bedroom closet That's where I am running to.

Answer by louise2 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• You want someplace without windows. And with sturdy beams. This might be a closet or possibly another room like a bathroom .If you are in apartments you can go to the center of the hallway or under the staircase if it is away from glass.
    I have heard people say that if you don't have a basement to put bookshelves over the windows, but if you can move it a tornado can fling it much easier. So don't use that as an only precaution. You can get under a heavy/ sturdy table.
    As a last resort if you are caught out side lie flat in a ditch.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:38 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• We live in the area where the tornados hit alabama last year - we had NEVER experienced this EVER before!
    So we figured to be away from windows and areas that would be hit first - so we chose the hallway that is covered by the garage and had enough space for all of us to stand or sit.
    My husband also bought a hand crank radio in the event there is no electricity, a generator, plug in wall flashlights, a grill (with burner for coffee etc) to use in the event we do not have electricity, an axe in case we are all stuck inside and have to cut our way out. All worked to our advantage last year, we had no harm to the house except no electric for 5 days.
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 2:45 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• DH and I have been watching stormchasers this weekend - they said 2nd best spot is the bathroom - in the tub! And yes, if you can drag a mattress in and on top of you, do it!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 3:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• thanks everyone
    dakota12674

Comment by dakota12674 (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Nov. 27, 2012