Voodoo vs. magic/witchs casting spells.....I'm talking disney movies here:)

We were in disney 2 weeks ago for a family vacation. We were standing in line to meet tinkerbell and her new sister, Periwinkle.
The woman in front of us just started to talk to us. Just about disney and stuff. We were telling her the princesses we had seen and gotten pictures with, as was she.
THEN, we told her right around the corner was princess Tiana.
She said, "oh no, we don't do her....with all the voodoo and stuff." (Princess and the frog movie. Based in New Orleans and the "shadow man" who casts a voodoo spell on the prince)

I was dumbfounded. Here we are standing in line for fairies, who sprinkle fairy dust to fly and make magic happen. As well as discussing all the other princesses in disney....ya know the one's with witchs' standing over their brews or talking to their magic mirrors to cast spells.

So, what the hell is the difference??? How is "voodoo" bad, but the other magic is not???

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Because some people think voodoo is real. Or at least that is my guess
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• I'm thinking fairy magic is pretty homogenized. Voodoo is dark, to some.

I will tell you that this same thought occurred to me when the complaints about the Voodoo in the film first started lighting up the interwebs
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:43 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• To me, the witches in Snow White, sleeping beauty, etc are fairy tale-ish as in not real, make believe. But voodoo is a very real thing and it played a larger part in the the princess and the frog than the bad witches in the previous movies did. The whole princess and frog movie voodoo scenes seemed darker, more evil than say Ursula in the little mermaid.
    I don't have a problem with it overall but while I let my 2 yo watch most of the princess movies, we won't introduce the princess and the frog until she's older. It's a little scarier because at least to me it's more real.

Answer by missanc at 7:43 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• That's odd. I mean, my family growing up was VERY anti-witch/voodoo/whatever, but even I was allowed to watch Disney. It's DISNEY, for goodness' sake. My guess is that this person believes that Voodoo is a real thing that kids shouldn't mess with or whatever.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• I haven't got an answer for you
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:45 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• more evil than say Ursula in the little mermaid.
    ******************************************
    seriously??? She was pretty damn evil and creepy looking. You should see her in the new ride they just opened in the magic kingdom.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:47 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

******************************************************************
    THen I am guessing they think witch's aren't real? Yet if they heard "Pagan" they may be reacting differently?
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• It's a little scarier because at least to me it's more real.
    *********************************************************
    but how would a kid know it's more "real" than witch magic if they never were exposed to actual voodoo?
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• Honestly, I'm just posting because that's too funny. It's people like that who ban Harry Potter because of the witchcraft. Nevermind that it's an allegory for Jesus.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• It's people like that who ban Harry Potter because of the witchcraft. Nevermind that it's an allegory for Jesus.
    ********************************************************************************************
    exactly. And why is THAT witchcraft more "real" than the witch's in disney movies? I don't get it.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Nov. 26, 2012