Voodoo vs. magic/witchs casting spells.....I'm talking disney movies here:)

We were in disney 2 weeks ago for a family vacation. We were standing in line to meet tinkerbell and her new sister, Periwinkle.
The woman in front of us just started to talk to us. Just about disney and stuff. We were telling her the princesses we had seen and gotten pictures with, as was she.
THEN, we told her right around the corner was princess Tiana.
She said, "oh no, we don't do her....with all the voodoo and stuff." (Princess and the frog movie. Based in New Orleans and the "shadow man" who casts a voodoo spell on the prince)

I was dumbfounded. Here we are standing in line for fairies, who sprinkle fairy dust to fly and make magic happen. As well as discussing all the other princesses in disney....ya know the one's with witchs' standing over their brews or talking to their magic mirrors to cast spells.

So, what the hell is the difference??? How is "voodoo" bad, but the other magic is not???

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2012 in Religious Debate

• DH and I were wondering something similar this weekend. My fundie brother and SIL have always strongly disapproved of all witchcraft around their kids, but their 10yo has been reading zombie novels as of late.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:01 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• I think it all comes down to people do what their church tells them without putting any thought behind it. If they did the research themselves, they'd either forbid it all or accept it all as fantasy, just like the people who freak out and scream that yoga is unchristian, but let their kids go to karate. Yoga is Indian, Karate is Chinese, both can have a spiritual component, but you aren't worshipping anything by doing either of them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:15 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• i think it goes back to the "voodoo is real" idea. they're too ignorant or stupid to realize that all magic is real to someone. or maybe they are racists and its more socially acceptable to say "voodoo is against my beliefs" than it is to say "ew she's a black princess!"

and im sorry but the voodoo scenes in Princess & the Frog are in no way scarier than Maleficent's magic in the final fight scene of Sleeping Beauty. or the Scar death scene in Lion King or the stampede Mufasa death scene. if you introduce a show to a child and say "this is scary" they are going to be scared.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:36 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• Bambi's mom. Just sayin.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:09 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• Hahahaha, oh boy. She's a winner! Maybe it's a good idea, if she's too stupid to be able to explain that the movie is a cartoon and make belive then it's probably a good idea she not let her kids watch it. People like that crack me up.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 11:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• Idk... but I'm not buying the "voodoo is real" bullshit excuse. Honestly, the magic (voodoo) of the shadow man is no different than that of the Queen in Snow White or the magic in any of those other movies. Princess Tiana isn't the one practicing voodoo just like Snow White isn't the one casting evil spells. Sounds to me like the lady is a few fries short of a Happy Meal....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• Keeping in mind as well, that there is very deep rooted bigotry in the US... I *shouldn't* need to say more than that.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:37 AM on Nov. 27, 2012

• 'and im sorry but the voodoo scenes in Princess & the Frog are in no way scarier than Maleficent's magic in the final fight scene of Sleeping Beauty. or the Scar death scene in Lion King or the stampede Mufasa death scene. if you introduce a show to a child and say "this is scary" they are going to be scared.'

Jaffar (sp?) in Aladdin comes to mind too. He was an evil sorcerer, and I don't remember any fuss about that.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• I don't understand it either. My fil doesn't like Harry Potter, and he didn't like Brave because of the witch and the magic, yet he loves Lord of the Rings, doesn't mind the magic and witches in the other Disney movies - Little Mermaid, Tangled, Sleeping Beauty, etc.

MamaC.

Answer by MamaC. at 4:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• For some people voodoo is very real and is wrong and evil. Fairies are make believe. There are actually voodoo practitioners in New Orleans nowadays.
    Still, what that has to do with Princess Tiana, who didn't practice dark voodoo herself is beyond me, lol.
    I guess some people have a hard time taking entertainment as just that and take everything too seriously.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 27, 2012