Voodoo vs. magic/witchs casting spells.....I'm talking disney movies here:)

We were in disney 2 weeks ago for a family vacation. We were standing in line to meet tinkerbell and her new sister, Periwinkle.
The woman in front of us just started to talk to us. Just about disney and stuff. We were telling her the princesses we had seen and gotten pictures with, as was she.
THEN, we told her right around the corner was princess Tiana.
She said, "oh no, we don't do her....with all the voodoo and stuff." (Princess and the frog movie. Based in New Orleans and the "shadow man" who casts a voodoo spell on the prince)

I was dumbfounded. Here we are standing in line for fairies, who sprinkle fairy dust to fly and make magic happen. As well as discussing all the other princesses in disney....ya know the one's with witchs' standing over their brews or talking to their magic mirrors to cast spells.

So, what the hell is the difference??? How is "voodoo" bad, but the other magic is not???

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Umm, The Shadow Man isn't the only one that practices voodoo in The Princess and The Frog. The old lady does it too. Hers just isn't as dark as The Shadow Man's. It could have to do with the ghosts and stuff too. Of course, she could have just been a closet racist and used the voodoo as a handy excuse. For me, it's all the same. There are people in Ireland that still believe in fairies. There are even still "fairy mounds" all over the countryside that no one is allowed to disturb because people are worried it will upset the fairies. People tend to forget that part of the mythology. They always seem to only focus on the bright and happy part. -Ashley

spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:43 AM on Dec. 1, 2012

• Voodoo to some people is just as real as magic. Or is considered a form of the spiritual/magical arts. Like in New Orleans there are some who still practice healing with voodoo. I do not always see it as dark powers. Hati and other places. I admitprobably a fading practice. I find it culturally interesting. Some of those magical voodoo clinicians practiced homeopathy with herbs and plant based medicines. Some noted as very healing at a time when traditional medicines didn't work quite as well. I find magic and voodoo to be about equal to my own spiritual faith. For those who really believed in it's power and practice that took faith. And if you were healed by a medicine woman/priestess what have you...wouldn't you believe too? I find it wonderful Disney can preserve some of that culture, even if the facts are not altogether acurate. Such as in Princess and the Frog.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:25 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I didn't know there was a difference.  I know a couple who won't let their kids watch disney movies because of the witches, however they let them watch Harry Potter.  Don't get it, never will.

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 9:12 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• Eh, for me as a Christian these things (the practice of witchcraft, voo doo, talking to spirits, anything that is not of God) are off limits as far as participation. The Princess and the Frog is one of my favorites! I'm not worried about it because I feel my kids are more influenced at home then anywhere else and this movie and other Disney movies aren't promoting these practices, it's just part of a fictional story. The bigger issue is age appropriateness. The voo doo stuff for a preschooler is a little scarier than something like Cinderella, for example.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• For some people voodoo is very real and is wrong and evil. Fairies are make believe. There are actually voodoo practitioners in New Orleans nowadays.
    Still, what that has to do with Princess Tiana, who didn't practice dark voodoo herself is beyond me, lol.
    I guess some people have a hard time taking entertainment as just that and take everything too seriously.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• I don't understand it either. My fil doesn't like Harry Potter, and he didn't like Brave because of the witch and the magic, yet he loves Lord of the Rings, doesn't mind the magic and witches in the other Disney movies - Little Mermaid, Tangled, Sleeping Beauty, etc.

MamaC.

Answer by MamaC. at 4:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• 'and im sorry but the voodoo scenes in Princess & the Frog are in no way scarier than Maleficent's magic in the final fight scene of Sleeping Beauty. or the Scar death scene in Lion King or the stampede Mufasa death scene. if you introduce a show to a child and say "this is scary" they are going to be scared.'

Jaffar (sp?) in Aladdin comes to mind too. He was an evil sorcerer, and I don't remember any fuss about that.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• Keeping in mind as well, that there is very deep rooted bigotry in the US... I *shouldn't* need to say more than that.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:37 AM on Nov. 27, 2012

• Idk... but I'm not buying the "voodoo is real" bullshit excuse. Honestly, the magic (voodoo) of the shadow man is no different than that of the Queen in Snow White or the magic in any of those other movies. Princess Tiana isn't the one practicing voodoo just like Snow White isn't the one casting evil spells. Sounds to me like the lady is a few fries short of a Happy Meal....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 26, 2012

• Hahahaha, oh boy. She's a winner! Maybe it's a good idea, if she's too stupid to be able to explain that the movie is a cartoon and make belive then it's probably a good idea she not let her kids watch it. People like that crack me up.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 11:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2012