To let my child open my gifts at his birthday party, or to do it before hand...

My mother and I were arguing about whether or not to let my son open his gifts from us at his birthday party, or to have him open them before hand. What would you ladies do?? In my opinion, gifts from close family (parents and grandparents) are usually the bigger and better gifts (not to sound snotty), and it would make the other children feel bad about the gifts they brought. Idk, opinions???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Nov. 27, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would have him open gifts from family with the family. But if it were me, I would wait until the party was over so then maybe you all can take the time with it or whatever and no rushing and he can play with it soon as he opens it.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:25 AM on Nov. 27, 2012

• Family gifts were opened with family for us. But then, my folks never came to the big parties with all the kids, anyway. Not after the third birthday. It was too much for them. We had a separate small celebration with them.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:28 AM on Nov. 27, 2012

• I've done 8 birthday parties and been to 100's defiantly do the family ones before or after. Kids don't want to sit through all that stuff.
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 2:30 AM on Nov. 27, 2012

• Yeah I would do them separately, often the party doesnt fall on the actual birth date, so we do family gifts on actual birthday, if party did fall on the actua;l day i would still do it separately
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 3:05 AM on Nov. 27, 2012

• Well as the party is never right on his birthday anyway, we make the kids open his school friends' presents and we only give him his gift (from us, parents) on his actual birth date.
    We don't do big parties with the whole family and such here.
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 4:42 AM on Nov. 27, 2012

• we usually have a small family party separate of the friend party, but when we did them together we opened all the presents at the party. however when we were doing friend/family together the only friends were people either hubby or i had known who had kids that my kids played with. they were not school friends.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:11 AM on Nov. 27, 2012

• My parents and in laws usually stay after the party until his friends and their parents have left. We do presents with them then.

Answer by missanc at 6:46 AM on Nov. 27, 2012

• I would have him open the big family gifts with just family around.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:59 AM on Nov. 27, 2012

• Family gifts with family, friend gifts with friends. Keep 'em seperate.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:15 AM on Nov. 27, 2012

• We don't do opening gifts at the birthday party because we want to allow as much fun time for the kids as possible...and opening gifts from the relatives takes away from that. I'd just open the gifts from the kids and then take the other gifts home and open then.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:20 AM on Nov. 27, 2012