Is it a man's duty to defend a woman's honor - any woman?

Am I the only one who sees this bizarre double standard, where women expect to be able to speak freely, without any tact, but they expect all men to speak to them only respectfully, and to even stand up to any man who doesn't? I don't understand it, but I see it a lot - women who pick fights, and then expect their husband (or any other convenient male) to step in and interfere if the person they start an argument with is male and doesn't take it lying down.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:31 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• Women are so caught up in being women they forget what it is to be a lady. Then when it's too late they expect a man to be a gentleman. I say if she can start it she can finish it.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• It happens...But I don't think he should get involved it is her fight and she should deal with it since she started it. The male is only involved because they might be thinking hey why are you arguing with her, let me handle this since we are both men.

If she starts it she should finish it.

Anonymous

• Exactly. There have been times when I am in an arguement and my husband thinks he needs to defend me. I tell him that it is my fight, although I appreciate his attempt, that I can handle it. If I am involved in a battle it is up to me to see it through. Yea my Mom was a active duty military Mom. She would kick my butt with HER combat boots if I didn't fight my own battles.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I believe we should be able to fight our own battles to an extent but if my husband saw a woman getting hit he would and has stepped in.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• When her bluejay mouth overrides her sparrow heiney, I don't feel it's another man's job to step in unless there are punches being thrown.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• That would be the situation where me or my husband would intervene is if someone is being hit.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:01 PM on Feb. 11, 2009