Is bribing kids wrong?

Like telling your small chid if they are very good [at church, the store, someones house] they will get a toy or piece if candy etc.

Mandy211

Asked by Mandy211 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No. I did it a lot. Look at it as rewarding good behavior. Just don't over-use it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:25 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• Nope, not in my opinion. That's basically how I was raised. I think it prepares them for work, if you do what you're told you get paid.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• Ok Thats how i use it as well. I just heard someone say how bad it is. I always follow thru if she is bad I don't give her a reward.
    Mandy211

Comment by Mandy211 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• sometimes no, sometimes yes. They really should learn to behave without bribing.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• i dont see the harm in it as long as your not constantly having to run out to get cany and toys for every little thing. The kids should know they need to behave well even when it means no candy or toys after.. but i still give them rewards sometimes.. like at the doctors.. they do good and see the doctor and get lollipops! or even when we go to my doctor i bring fruit snacks and if they do well in the waiting room i will give them each a pack to eat while i get checked.. lol also helps in keeping them quite while i see the doctor haha
    kp0469

Answer by kp0469 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• not necessarily. it can be done wrong, but most bribing is fine. i think of it as rewarding good behavior too. like every 2 weeks i take the kids to do big grocery shopping and it takes about an hour. if they are good they get a cookie from the bakery. theres nothing wrong with that imo.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:34 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• We only do it at certain times. Whenever she behaves at Cracker Barrel, she gets a cheap toy, but not for other restaurants. If she doesn't behave, no toy. The mall has a carousel she gets to ride if she behaves there.

It really depends on the child if bribery works or not.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:36 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• In the adult world it is called "giving incentive".
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• I didn't with my kids, and I don't with the grands. They learn to behave because it's the right thing to do. When you bribe it is telling them they deserve a reward for every little thing. It doesn't reflect life. If you make a behavior and /or chore chart where if all tasks are completed they earn their allowance..I'm all for that. That is the real world. You don't get paid every day. You have to wait on payday. No work, no pay.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:51 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• If it's something you can afford to maintain (like a piece of candy) and you're not using it all the time, then it's a simple solution to an occasional problem. If you end up using it all the time, then you need to find a different strategy.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2012