Why do some people not realise they may be DAMAGING their kids by...

letting them keep a pacifier after their teeth start to come in???

I have seen signiatures on people profiles that say things like "My son is a paci-monster, 2 years and counting..."

And they are proud enough to display that??
That's like saying "I don't brush my teeth every day, 28 years and counting"

Not only can it effect their speech but it also is bad for teeth and gums (ALL dentists and speech therapists agree.)

If you are a pro- extended paci mother, why? I mean, really, why take the chance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Would never dream of giving my kiddo a plastic plug myself, but I'm shocked to hear there are people who are proud of this. Yikes.

The phrase "It takes all kinds..." springs to mind.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I wonder why people don't break this habit sooner too!
    Anonymous

• Oh, I thought you were going to say because of their ignorance in general. Isn't there just a bunch of ignorant morons on here?!
    Anonymous

• im proud that my daugher never used a pacifier :D
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:45 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• i feel the same way, I took my daughters when she was 6 months old, and it was easy to do. some people just dont care, one of my friends has a 3 year old that still has the pacifier and a bottle, wtf? it makes me mad, but its not my child so i really cant judge anyone for the way they choose to raise THEIR children, but i wouldnt let my DD keep hers
    Anonymous

• I agree, it delays speech, is just a tool for the adult to keep the child quiet at that point, I even say a child of about 9 (she was too big to fit into the shopping cart) with a pacifier in her mouth, she would pull it out to speak, my kids freaked out...I also have a cousin who had to have major oral surgery to correct the malformation of his mouth because his parents gave him a paci all the time till he was about 4...this could have all been avoided

Anonymous

• Some parents are just not strong enough to do what's really needed because it's easier to let the kids have their own way.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 5:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Because it takes more effort to deal with the struggle to take it away than to just pretend that you're proud of it and don't care.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 5:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I'm not PROUD that my DD still uses her paci to go to sleep at age 3. But, it never affected her developing speech. She started speaking early, and learned well. My daughter ONLY gets it when she is in bed, and most of the time, it falls out shortly after she falls asleep. Trying to figure out a way to gently break her of it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I was fortunate that my son sucked his fingers instead. however I would not have let him have the pacifier. People have to realize they are the parent and it is their job to do what is in the best interest of the child. Parents do not need to be a buddy. I'd put up with a couple days of fussing when its best in the long run.
    Anonymous