Would they call social services for THAT?

Our daughter is 7, nearly 8. She's had the same pediatrician since she was 45 minutes old who's never said a thing about her speech.

Last month at school conferences the teacher asked about the speech therapist having a look at her. We said sure, but as an in class observation. We did not want her pulled from class. She agreed and sometime later the speech person sat in on a language arts class and discreetly listened to our daughter read out loud and answer some comprehension classes.

Now the agreement is being jostled, the speech lady said she needs to pull my daughter from class to "complete the evaluation" and come up with a plan.. yes she needs speech services, the amount needed remains to be seen. We said thanks but no thanks.She was pretty ticked, would not let me explain. She had the teacher call my husband who also tried to explain.

Our reasoning is there's a clinic in town with PT, OT, and speech therapy open til 6pm (school ends at 2:30) and there's simply no need for her to be pulled from class. There's two ways it could go and it's awful either way
1) pulled from an academic class like math
2) pulled from a fluff or fun thing like gym or art
Both options suck and are unacceptable to us and unfair to her
My husband is very close with his boss, who's a father of 9,who has tried to convince us that going against the schools obvious wishes like this is a terrible idea.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Nov. 27, 2012 in Kids' Health

• Why would they call social services? Just tell them you are doing it privately after school. Do you have to pay if it's not in school?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:16 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• so did they tell you they were calling childrens services or are assuming they will?
    if you are taking her elsewhere there is not much they can do about it. If you are not allowing her the advantage of help then I am not sure if they can do anything or not, but I would like to add this...if she is having trouble then ask them specifically when during the day would she be pulled from class....then tell them well I apppreciate your concern and we will be taking her to get extra help we just dont approve of missing class.

With that said, they probably want to do it at school since you who are with her all the time have not taken the initiaitve to do so already. Please dont take that wrong, I just don't know what words to use to make it sound less harsh just thinking from a teachers prospective.
    Anonymous

• Schools push for additional services for funding. They don't give a shit about the kids.

Anonymous

• So you're passing up on a FREE service and putting her into something that will cost you money?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• I don't know why they would be mad about you not using their therapist and opting to pay for your own. Seems like that would free up services for another student that needs help. I would ask them why they think they can do a better job than someone outside of the school and gauge my opinion on their answer and how they give it.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:27 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• They wouldn't call social services, but there are TONS of kids that get pulled from class for speech and flunking hasn't really been an issue, or they wouldn't do it any more. I mean, if you want to pay out of pocket for it then fine but the schools (at least here) do pull out all the time with no issues.

Answer by missanc at 5:27 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• I don't see what there is to call social services about if you are willing to seek treatment for her outside of school. You are still meeting your daughter's needs. If she needs speech therapy, she doesn't NEED it through the school.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 5:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• IDK WHY on earth you would not let the school address this!!! OMG! The SLP at the school deals with this, they SPECIALIZE in it. The SLP at the clinic deals with issues a bit differently b/c they can not be in the classroom. I think you are doing your child a HUGE disservice by not letting her spend one hour a week out of class. I work in a HS and I have students that go to see the SLP and being pulled out of class is such a non-issue.

They can certainly fight you on this!! They can also pull her out of class as they see fit during her school day. My 6 yr old son is receiving speech services (while they don't actually deal with speech, but how he processes language) without a formal eval or me signing off.. and I am SO thankful that they are doing this is small groups of kids he is in classes with!!.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• If you r daughter needs a little help you have the OPTION of using the school services or making sure that your child get s the services she needs.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:31 PM on Nov. 27, 2012

• They won't call SS but imo you are not making the best choice. My child is pulled for speech for 30 min once a week and for social skills for 20 min 2 times a week. He is not suffering academically and the benefits are amazing.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:31 PM on Nov. 27, 2012