• In the Spotlight:

Kindergarten age

I just found out yesterday that the pre-school that my kids have been going to has their Kinder age cut-off as August 31st. My twins turn 5 on September 4th and they are saying that they will have to wait until next year to enroll in Kinder. That means they will be practically 6 for kinder. Does this seem right? Should I be as concerned as I am? I am just thinking how messed up they might get later in school being a whole year older than everyone else.

TwinMom04

Asked by TwinMom04 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am a teacher and a mother of a 5 year old that is doing 2 years of Kindergarten. I can tell you that it can really benifit a child to wait. They get that extra year advantage and a year more mature which helps in their learning as well. My son is very bright, he is reading and adding ect. BUT I know that the extra year will only help him in the future.

He is currently in a half day private K. and next year will go to a full day public Kindergarten.

Trust me, one day you will be thankful that they are the oldest in class instead of the youngest! LOTS of benifits!! ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• The cut off here is December 1st. My second son has to wait an extra year, too...he was born December 19th. He will start the same year as my youngest who has a birthday in November. ugh.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:37 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Our cutoff here in Kentucky is October 1st for Pre-k and Kindergarden. My daughter is 3, and she can't go to prek this fall because she wont be 4 by oct 1st. Her bday is Nov 15th. Shes very smart and needs to go.
    She will go to Prek in Fall 2010 and Kinder in Fall 2011 when shes 5 in Aug and turns 6 in that Nov.
    I have been fighting tooth and nail to get her in that year earlier, but this is the rule and they say there are many advantages to being the older one.
    You can always send them to private schools.........they dont have to abide by such laws and bday cut off dates. Feel free to message me on my page as Im going thru the same thing.
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 8:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• The cut off here is early August so...
    My son started kindergarten in 2007. He turned 6 on October 1 that year (school began at the end of August). He's one of the oldest kids in the class but has never noticed.
    My oldest is a summer baby and is one of the youngest kids in her class and it shows. She's smart so that isn't an issue but most of the kids in her class have turned 9 already (she's in 3rd grade) but she won't be 9 until school is over with. She is the smallest kid in the class by several inches and doesn't always fit in.
    Around here the schools don't make exceptions to the cut-off rule. They don't care if your kid is a genius and misses the cut-off by 1 day. If they aren't 5 by the beginning of August then they don't go to Kindergarten (my kids are in a private school and they still don't make exceptions).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• see i have a 6 yr old son thats in kindegarten he was 5 when he enrolled but shortly after turned 6 ithink in my opinion you have nothing tio worry about as long as the child is comfortable with how much older they are then the other kids.
    proudmother25

Answer by proudmother25 at 12:54 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• The cut off is August 31st here too. Believe it or not, that one year can make a world of difference. I think your kids will be just fine. I bet they'll get a real kick of being one of the oldest in the class. I know my kids do!
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 7:46 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Our cut off date is Sept 1st. My DD b-day is Sept 6th. She is in pre-k this yr & I think it is wonderful. Socially she just wasn't ready for kindergaten. She will be in kindergarten with 3 other kids that have b-days around the same time she does.
    party_of_5

Answer by party_of_5 at 10:05 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• In my state, kids have to be 5 by August 1st before they can start Kindergarten. Going to school when your twins are almost 6 isn't necessarily a bad thing. They will have more time to mature and get ready for school. I teach first grade and my students don't really pay attention to who is older or younger in the class. I think your kids will be fine.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 3:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2009