Are you worried about the fiscal cliff?

I don't have any links to post because I'm on my phone but surely everyone is familiar with what this means. Do you think our scummy politicians will do anything? Should we just go over the so-called cliff and hope for the best?

HHx5

Asked by HHx5 at 8:45 AM on Nov. 28, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it matters what happens, I think Democrats will blame Republicans and the media will lap it up and regurgitate it all on air. Even imposing higher taxes on 'the rich', which many are business owners, will result in higher prices for everyone, so the middle class still gets to pay for it in the end.

As for my own opinion I am very wishy washy on the subject.  One day I feel like Republicans shouldn't compromise their fundamental ideals, an the next day I think 'F*ck it, lets drive this thing off the cliff', and then a day later I think 'give dems what they want and let the own the failed results' (yeah, like it won't be Bush's fault).  

Regardless of what I think should happen, I am fairly certain they will just end up kicking the can down the road.  Our poor future generations.  *smh*

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:17 AM on Nov. 28, 2012

• That's how I feel, too, Quinnmae. Sometimes, I think this country will be brought to our knees, other times I think everyone needs to see the results of our current decisions. I say "us" because no matter what, I'm an American.

I'm not happy about sequestration or the possibility of pay roll taxes going up. I think this economy will take a nose dive and we will just have to weather through it.
    HHx5

Comment by HHx5 (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I'm not happy about it either, but we do need deep cuts and I think if they kick the can down the road then it's going to hurt worse in the long run. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is any way to avoid the 'pain', and I am fairly certain that everyone will feel a level of it. The rate of spending is just unsustainable. It has been for a long time. I have a feeling that the deal will end up looking like higher taxes for a certain set of people with the promise of spending reforms that will never come to fruition. It's just not possible to spend yourself to prosperity. Its like going to the bank while going through bankruptcy and asking for a massive loan. Honestly, at this point I don't think either side have the balls to do what is necessary to fix our economy. Holding this stupid shit over our heads makes us a much more compliant constituency.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:28 AM on Nov. 28, 2012

• if they let us go over the cliff they wont get re-elected no matter who they put the blame on. so im hoping that thought alone is enough for them to suck up their "my side is the only one who could ever be right" pride and figure something out.

we really need to fire every single asshole that is on that hill and start from scratch...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:11 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Yes and no. I am worried about the personal impact but I have no control over it. It does no good to worry.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Not worried at all A deal will be reached. My taxes will go up, I have no problem with that. We need to reduce the deficit . It will all work out in the end.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 6:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Additional taxes won't go to pay down the deficit. Will you still have no problem with it when it goes to new spending?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:11 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Sorry, but we need a balanced approach, tax increases and reduction of spending. We need both to pay down the deficit. Not one without the other.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 7:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I agree, but I am not under the assumption that they will actually be responsible with the additional revenue that may result. It sounds today like the leadership of this country are more interested in settling the tax hikes and leave spending cuts to be worked out next year. LMAO. Yeah, like that's ever going to happen.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• " reduction of spending. "RNurse
    This will only happen if someone cuts Obama's credit cards. But all in all, I think us Americans are gonna get the shitty end of the stick, and nothing will change. And we very well might end up like happen to Greece.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2012