Good books for a 14 y/o boy ?

Anyone knows of some good books for a soon 14 y/o boy ? He reads mainly heroic fantasy books.

He readall his books several times now. Time to find new ones (and Christmas is just around the corner) !

ajc03

Asked by ajc03 at 9:06 AM on Nov. 28, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• Enders game by Orsen Scott Card.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• The narnia chronicles
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I just checked with my 8th and 9th grader. DS said definitely the Hobbit. Also, Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Thanks ladies ! I began to look into all of your suggestions and there are some books I'm sure he will love !
    ajc03

Comment by ajc03 (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I remember some of Cynthia Voigt's books from when I was a teen. In particular I thought of "A Solitary Blue" which focuses on a young male character named Jeff, but midway through the novel he meets a girl named Dicey (and her family) and these characters are featured in other novels by Voigt. Such as "Dicey's Song" (I think both those novels are part of a collection of books called The Tillerman Saga, about Dicey and her family.)

What about Lloyd Alexander's fantasy series, The Chronicles of Prydain? It consists of five novels, including "The Black Cauldron," which I think is second in the series.

Another early-ish Orson Scott Card novel (I assume it's still in print) that would be great (heroic fantasy/adventure) is "Wyrms." It's quite good, and one of the main characters is a teenage boy, Will. And Orson Scott Card's novel "Songbird" might appeal, too.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:42 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Has he read Tolkien? If not, The Hobbit & the Lord of the Rings trilogy would probably be up his alley.

Check out Orson Scott Card's book, Ender's Game. (It has sequels, too, that follow Ender's story over the years, but the first book is probably the most accessible for kids, in terms of subject matter.)

I remember a book called "Painting the Black" as being very good. It's a story about a high school baseball player, so it's very different than fantasy, but it's a well-written book that deals with moral issues and personal accountability.

Anything by Virginia Euwer Wolf (Wolff?) is pretty great. I can only think of one of her books that features a male protagonist ("Probably Still Nick Swansen") but her characters are complex and very compelling. I think they could be worthwhile reading for a teen boy (and the Nick Swansen character IS a teenage boy.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• DS1 is nearly 15. In addition to the books that were already mentioned, he loved the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon, et al), The DaVinci Code, Hunt for Red October, Lord of the Rings books, and he just started the Hobbit today. Also the series that starts with I am Number Four.

I can ask what some of his recent faves are when he gets home. He and his sister go through tons of books each year and I can't keep them straight anymore.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:13 AM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Thanks ladies, I will look into them all.

Some of them he has already read : the Harry Potter books or Percy Jackson, the Treasure Island and other classics too. :)
    ajc03

Comment by ajc03 (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Nov. 28, 2012

• The Hobbit
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:46 AM on Nov. 28, 2012

• How about the classics?
    Treasure Island,To Kill A Mockingbird,Where The Red Fern Grows,All Quiet on the Western Front

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:34 AM on Nov. 28, 2012