Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i am bipolar and i have been off of my meds because i have been pregnant and i had my son a week ago and i want to know who i should talk to about ob or should i make an app. with my psyh dr...i am really depressed and i need to be put back on my meds asap

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Health

Answers (4)
  • well i would first talk to your OB because it might be post partum.

    Answer by luv4adrianna at 6:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

  • If you're bi-polar, I'd talk to your psychiatrist. An OB isn't used to dealing with bi-polar issues, and even if you have PPD, your treatment as a bi-polar patient will be different than the treatment for someone without it. Definitely call your psychiatrist. I'm sure he/she will see you right away if you explain your situation. You will probably need to get back on your meds asap. Good luck. And congrats on your baby!! :)

    Answer by StarLee at 6:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

  • Both. You'll want to discuss it with each doctor and run each doctor's suggestions by the other doctor. Your OB will know what is best for you and your baby post-partum and your Psychiatrist will know what's best for you having had you as a psychiatric patient in the past. If you are breastfeeding, you also might want to run whatever is recommended by your OB and/or Psychiatrist to let them know.


    Answer by NovemberLove at 6:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

  • Why not call both? I wouldn't wait too long either. Whether it's Bp or PPD you need to be seen asap! Good luck to you, and congratulations :)

    Answer by msmikkle at 7:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.