This is a messy one!

Basics: clergy sexual misconduct is the same as a doctor or counselor who has sex with a patient/client. This case is being retried, because the prosecutor focused more on the priest violating his vow of celibacy than he did on the state of their relationship (clergy and congregant) during their sexual relations.

No idea how it will go the second time around, but it has me wondering. The priest is claiming the relationship was consensual and he wasn't acting as clergy while they were having sex. But, if iit was a doctor or a psychologist, there's no such thing as "off duty so it's ok". At 3AM, if the other person is in an accident and the hospital needs to call someone, they're still calling that doctor or psych, even though it's after office hours. In that same vein, is a spiritual advisor (the specific faith is irrelevant) ever truly off the clock, either? If the same accident happens at 3AM, and the family needs comfort, the priest or gothi or rabbi or whoever, is ALSO going to get that call.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2012 in Religious Debate

• If by the way, and it is, what you tell a priest is protected under the law....then they are in a special category. No gray area. Pretty clear. Who you have sex with has no protection if they know you committed a crime. Some random dude still has to fess up in court. But a priest does. This makes him legally unique.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:59 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• The doctor/patient; atty/client thing is not as airtight as you think- my pals husband is a total pig-top ranked surgeon, had an affair with a patient that lead to their divorce and guess what- now he is dating his divorce atty- none is it was illegal, none of it had any bearing on their divorce proceedings or settlement, none of it threatened anyones professional career- (yuck!)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• IMO, I don't believe that a priest, rabbi, minister or gothi ever take off their proverbial collars at a certain time each day. They are no different from the psychologists, counselors, doctors etc. I don't stop being mom just because, my kids aren't with me all of the time. The congregation of a church still belongs to the church and the ministers who are there as well. The ministers don't stop just because, they are asleep or busy with other things.
    blondie805

Answer by blondie805 at 3:21 AM on Dec. 2, 2012