So... what is the school going to do with my DD in Kinder if she already knows the curriculum and 'skipping a grade' is not an option?

My DD is 4 month into pre-k and has just about completed the schools 5 page sight word list and is reading better than the private kindergarten students. (she will attend public school due to funds) She also ads and subtracts already, can do ABC order, complex patterns, knows the state capitols, flies through reader comprehension questions, is starting to write short stories and starting to learn about money...I can't imagine what she will know by next aug. Especially since her teachers at pre-k are giving her Kindergarten work... In my state skipping a grade technically is possible but VERY hard to accomplish and the 'gifted' classes don't start until first grade... what are they going to do with her? I know it's along way of but it concerns me already! lol.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:51 PM on Nov. 28, 2012 in

• When DS was in Kindergarten, he was a reading and math group of one. His teacher went out of her way to keep him busy (meaning giving him work that challenged him). Our program doesn't start til 2nd, so 1st grade was the difficult year for him, but his 1st grade teacher was at least sympathetic.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• This is a whole new ball game for us. Our first child is in Special Education with an IEP and just meets his grade level criteria! funny how different our kids can be!
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Hope and pray her teacher next year pays attention. My son taught himself to read at age 4. Because of his birthday he's one of the oldest in his class. He started kindergarten (Sept here) and the next month turned 6. That year was hell for us. The teacher that started the school year went ON maternity leave at thanksgiving, the teacher that finished the year came OFF maternity leave at thanksgiving. The hardest thing he ever did that year was read Mary Had A Little Lamb and find all the "m's" in the poem. Neither teacher did anything to help keep him challenged. As a consequence, he started acting out and getting physical with those around him. The school labeled him a bully.

Now he's in 3rd grade and has been in the "gifted" program since 2nd grade and has not once complained about boredom. Other issues cropped up last year, but we are now dealing with them.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• When I was in elementary school I went into the next grade up for reading and math, then with my regular class for the rest of the day. My son did the same thing until 5th grade when they taught him and one other 5th grade student math separately, but they were both smart enough to "self teach" given the right materials so it didn't take too much time.
    Work with the teacher and school - there are creative things they can do.

Answer by missanc at 5:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• If you DO wind up with the idiot teacher we had in kindergarten, find your nearest teacher supply store, or any book store, and get her some workbooks that will keep her challenged at home. Maybe let her bring them to school with her.

By the time we figured out how much the school was NOT doing for our son in kindergarten there was only a month left.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:06 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Doc, you definitely need to talk to the school to find out which teacher is best to keep her busy.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Kinder is the special time for wee ones. Just go with the flow and hope that she isn't too "bored".
    What you might find out is if the school has in 1st grade the "advanced" class, so that she doesn't get stuck in a class with kids who are lower than she is and she will be bored again.
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 5:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I understand, my district won't skip grades until 1st grade. My DD is in Kindergarten and reads at a 2nd grade level. Her math skills have not be tested, yet. But, thankfully she's set to be tested for the GT program next week.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• i wonder the same thing about my DD (shes also pre-K). im hoping she continues to get really awesome teachers who will go out of their way to challenge her...thats really all we can do for now. luckily, we got that this year, but i know thats not always going to happen.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

Next question in
Inflation rate

Next question overall (Religious Debate)
This is a messy one!