Any teachers that can answer this?

If there was an issue in class with a child and the parent brought it up to the principal, who then wrote you a note informing you that the parent came in with concerns. Would you bring it up with the child?

My daughter is 6 so I did not tell her I spoke to the principal, I waited unti she went to class to talk to her, she then wrote a note which I understand letting her know I came in with some concerns. But why would the teacher decide to talk to my daughter about it! that just annoys me! and this is now the 3rd time the teacher has called my daughter a liar and once called her a cheater.

SkylaReneeMom

Asked by SkylaReneeMom at 5:55 PM on Nov. 28, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm not a teacher, but I will say that I think it's highly inappropriate for her to talk to your daughter about it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I would be talking to the principal about that to. and insisting she be moved to another class.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:01 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Actually, I have had to speak to a student about an issue that was brought to my attention by another parent. Somethings NEED to be dealt with in the school setting. You don't like it? Tough. Your child needs to learn to hear things from others.

And usually when I tell a parent their child is lying and cheating--it is true--even if the parents do not want to believe it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:02 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I have even had to talk to a child about an issue brought in by a parent. Why? Because sometimes things need to be sorted out. Your child may have brought something up and the teacher may have had to clarify somethings and the topic needed to be addressed.

I just had a parent yell at me because their child had a bruise. I asked the child what happened and the kid went home and told the parent the teacher asked me what happened. She is now threatening to call the school board for me 'interrogating' her child.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• But I believe that my 6 year old daughter does not need to be brought into a talk between adults. The only concern I had was that the teacher wrote me a note stating that "after much dicussion" and I felt the issue did not need that much attention. My daughter and another girl told eachother they were not eachtoher friends. at lunch NOT in the classroom, when I asked for my daughter to be moved to a different table in the classroom. the teacher decided it did not need to be done!
    SkylaReneeMom

Comment by SkylaReneeMom (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• ah, yes. I remember that one. You felt it was 'just a kids being kids' thing when school are trained to deal with the matter as a 'pre bullying' type issue.

Without knowing what precipitated the conversation between the daughter and teacher, you can not judge. Maybe something was said and the teacher felt the daughter needed to know what was written.

Try not to see the teacher as the meanie. Your child is NOT perfect and typically teachers are trying to help. If you fly off the handle every time your child is corrected, it is going to be LONG 12 years in school.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:15 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I used to teach before it became such a political nightmare. In this situation, I would have called you in and talked to you and your dd because I think theres some miscommunication going on, and its time everyone is on the same page.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I worked in schools for several years and still coordinate with them. If a parent addresses a concern privately to a teacher or a principal your trust should not be violated. Even if your daughter is having difficulty there is no reason to place shame, guilt, or undue stress upon your daughter. The goal should be to assist a child as a team and develop a plan that approaches the situation with dignity and respect. Confronting a child about the behaviors and concerns a parent has, demanding of the child to essentially tell on the parent, is really unprofessionally inappropriate behavior.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• It is a political nightmare... So agreed. Talking to the parent really is the best way to go.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• No teacher should take the responsibility of being the parent in an issue like this. And NO TEACHER should ever be-little a small child calling them a liar or a cheat. Go to your principle over this. Children should be shown love and support at school. They should never be treated like this. The teacher needs to be reported.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2012