Why do people dislike unique names

I thought you were supposed to teach kids that its ok to be different?

rockabell.2009

Asked by rockabell.2009 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 28, 2012 in Baby Names

• Holden isn't unique, it's an old classic. It was so old it fell out of "popularity" so it only seems unique.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• That one sentence was supposed to say not heard lol my auto correct put ears lol
    rockabell.2009

Comment by rockabell.2009 (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• by the way, neither of my children's names are in the top 100. One can be mispronounced, both are often misspelled. I don't have a hissy fit about it. I like their names.

I feel it is more attention seeking when names are made up or just spelled outlandishly. Either way, no reason for people to have attitude over off beat names.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I guess I consider unique based on what is different currently. It's an old name but it's unique in this time period.
    rockabell.2009

Comment by rockabell.2009 (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• That I really like.... when you bring back an older name....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:25 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• It's an old name but it's unique in this time period.

So are names like Edith and Victoria and well any other name that isn't spelled with a z instead of an s or that comes out of a pop culture reference. Such as Baby Hashtag. Seriously some people should needa  license to breed

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I like hearing names that aren't used as often, if they are actually names. What I really hate is when the names are purposely misspelled or the parents just cram in a bunch of extra letters. I suppose they're just trying too hard to be creative, but they pretty much always ruin a name by butchering it that way. I figure if they want to use a unique name, that's enough. Pick a unique name and keep it simple. Don't butcher the crap out of the unique name, or misspell a common name in an attempt to make it unique.
    And don't get me started on names that aren't names. I knew someone who was dating a guy named Pear.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• kids are mean and if it's not a name they have issue with- it will be something else...

different names are fine to a point I think and then there are ones that just make you wonder WHAT the hell?!?!
    and spelling can be a nightmare for some names
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I don't dislike unique names. Sometimes I might pronounce them wrong though.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Some unique names are great, other "unique" names like Apple are stupid, IMO. I feel sorry for children that have to go through life with names like that.

Speaking of old names, Lily wasn't popular 6 years ago when I gave my oldest that name. I considered it and oldish name. Now though there are Lilys everywhere!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2012