Why do people dislike unique names

I thought you were supposed to teach kids that its ok to be different?

rockabell.2009

Asked by rockabell.2009 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 28, 2012 in Baby Names

• There is a difference between a real name and unique. Chlamydia is not a name, neither is Lucite. As for "unique" (AKA MADE UP) spellings, they'll forever be MISSpelled.  Why curse a child with a made-up non-name or one that is spelled incorrectly, yet creatively? If you want unique, change your OWN name.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:04 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• I wasn't referring to names like Hashtag or Facebook or Urinal lol

I just mean names that aren't top 200 names but are actually real names. Nothing made up or just random jumbled letters or random objects like naming your son table. Like the name Antonia, that name is not very popular but it's an actual name so I don't understand why if someone wanted to use that name they are crying for attention....it could just be that they just like the name. I think it's just wrong to assume someone is uneducated or that they are attention seeking by picking an offbeat name. It would be just as wrong for me to assume that if someone names their daughter Emily they are boring people simply because I find the name dull.
    rockabell.2009

Comment by rockabell.2009 (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Hard to say and hard to [spell/ Kids grt off on correcting how it is supposed to br said.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:33 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• I completely agree with everyone else. My DD is named Victoria- she is the only one in her school, & I think it's a beautiful name.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I do not have issue with what parents name their children and if I meet someone with a unique or unusual name, I ask them how to pronounce it, and if it happens that I will be interacting with this person more than once,I will learn to pronounce their name, and let them share about their name.

If they are not bothered by their name why should I be.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Different names are great- I especially love how old names are new again. Different is one thing, but misspelled, made up, and just plain stupid(yes, I think the name Facebook for a daughter is completely stupid, as is Hashtag, or Like, or Pie) is a completely different story. I cannot tell you how often I look at a child's name and wonder what the hell her parents were thinking. Especially when they throw in letters that never belonged there in the first place to make it 'unique'. Poor kid.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I guess it's all in your definition of unique. Yes unique can be made up or funky spelling which I don't care for, but to me unique is what is different from current names if there are tons of emmas and Sophia's and your name is Zelda it would be unique even though the name Zelda has been around for a long time it's not something you hear all the time I guess. To each their own I just like changing things up and don't like names that are common because I get sick of hearing some not all just some of them
    rockabell.2009

Comment by rockabell.2009 (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I'll be honest, if kids are so inclined they can find a way to make fun of the name Kim.

There's been so much discussion about names over the last couple of days. I just think parents should name their kids what they want and not worry so much about what other people think.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I know someone that named her daughter Strummer. I didn't tell her, but I think it's sad she picked such a weird name. Of course all of her hipster friends think it's great. I'm used to it now, but I really was shocked and disappointed at first.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I don't mind names that are "different". I just don't like them when they're so unusual that I can't figure out how to pronounce it.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 7:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2012