Why do people dislike unique names

I thought you were supposed to teach kids that its ok to be different?

rockabell.2009

Asked by rockabell.2009 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 28, 2012 in Baby Names

• Unique names aren't "Different" anymore. Most just sound like the parents were drunk or high when filling out the paperwork.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:15 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Holden isn't unique, it's an old classic. It was so old it fell out of "popularity" so it only seems unique.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Because they reek of parents who want attention.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:15 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• But a name is not unique just because it's spelled differently IMO. I must admit I have two very unique named children for their time.... (now, one is pretty popular, but the other is still not... ) I like that.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I have no problem with offbeat names. What I do have a problem with is the attitude that I get from parents and students when the name is mispronounced or misspelled. I typically ask if I don't know and I still get eye rolls and loud sighs.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• It's an old name but it's unique in this time period.

So are names like Edith and Victoria and well any other name that isn't spelled with a z instead of an s or that comes out of a pop culture reference. Such as Baby Hashtag. Seriously some people should needa  license to breed

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I like unique names but if they are too unique I feel the kid will spend their whole life spelling and explaining their name to everyone. I would never say anything to the parents or the child. They might not like my kids names either. Also I feel a name is only a name it doesn't say anything about the person.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• That I really like.... when you bring back an older name....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:25 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• by the way, neither of my children's names are in the top 100. One can be mispronounced, both are often misspelled. I don't have a hissy fit about it. I like their names.

I feel it is more attention seeking when names are made up or just spelled outlandishly. Either way, no reason for people to have attitude over off beat names.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• I like unique as in not overly used names. But, I dislike made up names & uneek spellings.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:40 PM on Nov. 28, 2012