I'M PREGNANT AND MY HUSBAND HAD CANCER THREE YRS AND A HALF AGO,CAN MY BABY BORN WITH ANY SICKNESS?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• cancer is a genetic thing. EVERYBODY, even your unborn baby will have this gen in the system. the risk of getting cancer is higher when someone related to you had cancer.

my grandfather had cancer, so did my mom. im healthy so far and i hope i will keep it up like that.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Cancer is not contagious.
    Anonymous

• your child will definitely have the gene but it does not guarantee any risk of developing cancer. all it does is put them at a higher risk later in life. i wouldnt worry too much though. almost every person has some type of gene in them that is cancerous and not everyone gets it. So relax, your baby will be healthy. just make sure to stick to regular doctors visits
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 6:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• No, just because your husband had cancer does not mean that your child will be born with anything wrong. My dad died of cancer and my sister and I are just fine.
    Anonymous

• I found the following here: http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Aboutcancer/Genetics/Cancergenetics/related_faqs/QAs/83558763
    It is not possible for a parent to directly pass cancer on to their children. If a father has cancer when a child is first conceived, he cannot pass that cancer through his sperm. Similarly if a mother has cancer during her pregnancy that cancer cannot spread to her growing baby.
    However, sometimes one, or occasionally both parents, may carry abnormal genes which may increase the risk of their child developing cancer in later life.
    The genes are the tiny clusters of chemicals in all our cells which control how our bodies behave, and copies of these genes are passed on from parents to their children. We now know that a small number of cancers are caused by faulty genes which are passed down through families. For example, about 1 in 10 breast cancers is caused by a faulty gene, as are about 1 in 20

Answer by Bmat at 6:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2009