Not a question, just needing a little encouragement, gals.

I have good and bad news. Good: I passed my Praxis I exams! Yay!!! So exciting! Also, looks like I will be getting all As this semester. I've had an 18 hour courseload with 2 preschool-agers, so I feel accomplished there!

Bad: I've just gotten my first shut-off notice ever. ...it sort of makes me think about reconsidering the whole college thing, or at least put it off again.... but I really don't want to do that. I don' t know if that's selfish or not. I want financial security for my family, but there is no way I could take care of my kids well, do well in school, and hold a job that is enough to pay all the bills. Husband has been out of work for months. It's really difficult to find work in our area at this time. I'm not giving up hope, though! It's just really frustrating. I don't want to rely on gov. assistance anymore, but there's no other way if I want to ensure a financial future for my family.

Thanks for reading and any advice or encouragement. I hope you all had an amazing Thanksgiving. Going anon on this one bc I don't want any of you to think less of me...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Nov. 28, 2012 in Money & Work

• Don't feel bad for getting assistance while going to school to better yourself and your family. That is what it is meant for, to help people until they can get back on their feet. It isn't like you are not doing anything and planning on living off the government forever. Good luck and good job getting all A's, I know it's tough going to school with two little kids. :)
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 11:47 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Congratulations on passing the exams. Stay in school.
    Never think less of yourself, so you will not think others think less of you.
    Public assistance is your step for now, and eventually you will step up and into a better situation. Be patient, work hard, you will get there.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Congratulations on those grades and doing it with preschoolers.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Don't despair. Take all the help you can, even at the cost of a hit to your pride. It'll will be so worth it in the end.

I had three under the age of 7 when I started college. I was a single mom and so poor I can't even figure out how we made it, but we did. You will too.

Great job!
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:00 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• If it does end before you finish, atleast you will leave knowing you tried to do something better in your life before you had to leave this life.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:55 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Congrats on your exam and your As ! Studying whime taking care of young kids is really hard and it seems like you are doing really well !

No shame or no guilt to feel for asking for help and if you need government assistance for now then so be it ! It's not like you are doing nothing to change things for you and your family.

Good luck with school ! Hang in there and you'll get there !
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 5:50 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Thanks girls. ...I'm just used to being the person to help others, not being the receiver of the help, kwim?

I will have less hours next semester and be able to substitute teach here and there for extra money while I'm in school. Then, I'll have my Associate Degree after next semester. It sort of sucks waiting, ya know?

PS.... I will be pissed if the world ends before I get my degree. HAHAHA
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Thanks, Dardenella. :) It's hard, but rewarding!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2012

• Thanks, Mrs_Prissy. It helps to hear a success story!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Thanks, ajc.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:45 AM on Nov. 29, 2012