Picky Eater

Okay DS is 17 months and he wont eat anything but mac and cheese for dinner and lunch. He used to gobble everything i sat in front of him up but not anymore. He has stopped eating all meat except bacon, but i cant give him bacon for all his meals, that's just unhealthy. Hes good on breakfast foods, he eats eggs, pancakes, fruit, yogurt, granola, cereal. But that's it...and ,mac and cheese, and peas. He hate spaghetti sauce, Alfredo sauce, basically anything that isn't cheese, he doesn't want it on his pasta. He also wont even touch a grilled cheese, which i find odd. So does anyone have nay ideas for new meals that i can give him. He eats all fruits and most veggies except the green ones, only peas.

Love1988

Asked by Love1988 at 12:09 AM on Nov. 29, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At that age when my DD started showing signs of being picky I pushed it out. She wasn't allowed to be picky. She didn't eat, she got the same meal again for the next meal until she finally ate it. She is 4 and is currently eating what was given to her at lunch yesterday, again for dinner and now for breakfast. They have to learn at some point that you aren't a short order cook and that you won't cater to their every whim. My kids in general are good eaters. My 4 yo has all of a sudden decided that she doesn't like leftovers. Well, it isn't an option. Good luck, but I am the Mom that will make them eat it and I don't care how many times I have to put it in front of them.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:14 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Yes, he loves plain cheese, he eats it all the time
    Love1988

Comment by Love1988 (original poster) at 9:22 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• If he'll eat fruits and veggies, there's nothing he absolutely needs in the mac and cheese. Give him the fruit and veg, and add little bits of meat to it, or some pieces of cheese. Will he eat plain cheese cubes? I know our Kroger used to sell them pre-cut, and it's also not that hard to just get a block and slice some off.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:23 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Thanks, virginiamama!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:44 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:33 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• If he likes mac and cheese, will he eat other pastas? Maybe sneak some whole grain pastas and veggies and/or meat into the "mac n cheese"? They all go through stages like this. It's important to still show them a variety and be consistent. It will pass. Until then, continue to try new things and make sure there is at least one thing at each meal that you know he will eat, like balagan_imma mentioned. Good luck!

Also, here's a link which may be helpful. :) http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-infants-toddlers/feeding-picky-eater-17-tips

Sorry, wouldn't let me make it clickable. 

Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:20 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Don't give him the option of being picky. If he truly doesn't like something like pasta sauce give him plain pasta if that's what you are making. He will not starve himself.

I have one kid who won't eat most pasta or most cheese (unless it's melted to near non-recognition on a homemade white pizza.) So, if we are having something that I know he absolutely won't eat I make sure there is one thing he will eat. So on the rare occasion we have Mac and cheese we save some plain for him and make his favorite veggie.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:15 AM on Nov. 29, 2012