I need tips for feeding my one month old

She eats four to six onces every two to three hours some times more often. I don't know if this is normal but it seems like she is never satified and we are going through a lot of formula. I was wondering if there is anyway to try and satify her... some one recommended rice cereal but I don't know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Nov. 29, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am not sure about rice cereal for one month old, I would just keep giving her formula and be patient. She is growing and it will be even more formula. Maybe try another kind?
    ganna04

Answer by ganna04 at 2:04 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Four to six ounces really isn't that much. I remember my son going through 10 ounces. you really shouldn't move on to rice cereal until your doctor thinks she's ready, which could be 5 months or so.
    I try to think of it like this. If this were before the invention of formula, we would be nursing for a year or maybe 2. And I would feed her as much as she wants to eat. Babies Don't over eat like adults, so no worries about the amount.
    But if you have any questions, you can always ask your doctor.
    tinka_pixie

Answer by tinka_pixie at 2:38 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Whatever you do, please don't give her cereal. Her little tummy isn't ready to digest anything other than milk or formula at her age. Like PP suggested, contact your doc if you're worried. I think that if she's eating a lot then it's because she needs it.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:37 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Here are some guidlines that might help reassure you:

http://www.babycareadvice.com/babycare/general_help/article.php?id=8

winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:45 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• That is alot for a one month old
    NO CEREAL
    Talk to the doctor

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:33 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• I know you are tired. But the reality is that babies have very small tummies and need to eat often. However, 4-6 oz sounds like a lot for such a young baby. So I would check in with your pediatrician. But she is growing so much that it might be that she needs it. Or you could try giving her 2-3 oz at a time and feed her more often during the day.

As for "keeping her satisfied" she is a very young baby. You are doing what she needs. DO NOT give her rice cereal. It won't do much good and can cause problems like constipation. Plus it is really just baby junk food.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:42 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Call your pediatrician and ask them.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:52 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Do NOT feed your child ANYTHING other than formula until you get permission from the Dr.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:36 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• DD2 ate alot for a newborn also, that is higher than normal but that is your babys normal. Call the doc and ask about the rice based formula. DD2 started on rice cereal at 2 months with docs blessing. Even with her being 2nd born I still asked and made a meal plan with her doc.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 6:31 AM on Nov. 30, 2012