How do I get them to bed by themselves?

I have a 2 year old son and a 3 year old daughter. They lay on the couch and watch tv to fall asleep. I will put on something boring so they dont stay awake just to watch. They do have their own beds, but how do I get them to just go into their rooms and go to bed without me having to sit next to them on the couch? They have always been next to me when falling asleep, even naps. Any ideas?

dawnnight

Asked by dawnnight at 6:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a four yaer old and man do i feel your pain!! I just started getting her to go to her bed and go to sleep by herself. for the longest time everyone kept telling me that i needed just to let her cry. but i wasn't havin that, it broke my heart. but you know what i tryed EVERYTHING for MONTHS.. and i got NOTHING. sad to say that is the best way. send them to bed and just walk away. If they get up you have to pick them up and put them back into bed, give them a kiss, tell them you love them, and walk away. It's very heartbreaking and i think it's harder on us then it is on them but you know after about a week of that they will give up, and it is SOO worth it. the key is consistancy. If you don't have it, they know and will use ANYTHING to manipulate. Just got to stick to your guns and don't show that it is hurting you. I personally didn't take the t.v. away right away. the first week i let her watch it in her own bed. then
    luv4adrianna

Answer by luv4adrianna at 6:38 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• it was gone the second. and i think her being able to watch it in her own bed took away some of the fear the second week because she was then a little more familur with going to sleep by herself in her own bed.
    luv4adrianna

Answer by luv4adrianna at 6:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• We also have a very consistent bedtime ritual. We start about an hour before we want him in bed. Starting with a bath and getting jammies on. Then we each read him a story, turn on amusic c.d. he's been listening to at bedtime since infancy. We tuck him in and we're hot to trot. In your case, as some of the other mothers said it may take several attempts. Just keep returning them to bed. the less you say the more effective it is, because you're not providing negative attention. It may take awhile & be really hard and exhausting for you, but think of the long term rewards. Good luck!

ThatsWright

Answer by ThatsWright at 3:24 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Ashley is 3 now & we had the same problem until about 3 months ago. She would want to snuggle with me & after working 2 jobs I took advantage of the snuggle time. Most nights we would both fall asleep in the chair. Then I decided that I needed to stop this habbit. So at first I did the old stand by of "you get a special prize if you go to be by yourself'. She was not interested, so I told her to try going to bed by herself because I was going to bed, I also let her sleep with one of my childhood animals that she normally would not get to sleep with. We started a routine, the first few nights were a bit of a struggle but she realized our nights of falling asleep together were over. It took about a week. We now have a routine starting around 8:00, 1 tv show of her choice, then potty & brush teeth, then read 1 book, shut off lights and then tell 1 story, tuck her in & leave her room. I hope this helps!
    Kzimmy

Answer by Kzimmy at 10:01 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• you quit letting them watch TV at bedtime. You put them in their beds and tell them it's time to go to sleep, it may take a while, and you will have to be consistant, but that's what ya do
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:34 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Start building a bedtime routine that end up IN bed, not in front of the TV. Be consistant. If they get out of bed, put them back. Reassure them and leave. They're old enough to have a self-soothing item with them in bed. My DD has a pillow, blanket and a rotation of toys.

Our bed time routine looks like this: 7pm - bath or shower. Dress in PJs, have vitamin, brush teeth. 7:30 - read stories. When we were first establishing the routine, lights out was 8 pm. They'd get a sip of water, a few hugs and kisses, a nose rub or two. They each get to ask 2 question and answer 2 questions. Then we leave the room. If they get out, we put them back. now that it's established, we have add "quiet time" from 8 to 8:30. They can do whatever they want in their own rooms on their own as long as it's a "quiet" activity (read, draw, etc) Also, consider reading "No Cry Sleep Solution"
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• well, first of all, get them off the tv, at least 30 mis. before bedtime..dont keep a tv in their room, if u know they are gonna turn it on... find a ritual that works for them, like a hot bath, or reading a story..... lights out at the same time every night..... its gonna take a little patience but theyll get there...... good luck!!!
    Anonymous