How do I get them to bed by themselves?

I have a 2 year old son and a 3 year old daughter. They lay on the couch and watch tv to fall asleep. I will put on something boring so they dont stay awake just to watch. They do have their own beds, but how do I get them to just go into their rooms and go to bed without me having to sit next to them on the couch? They have always been next to me when falling asleep, even naps. Any ideas?

dawnnight

Asked by dawnnight at 6:26 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For now continue to do what you are doing they are still too young to tell them to go to bed they are not going to listen you can try but I doubt it.

As they get older just start telling them to go to bed believe me it will all come natural don't rush it. Cherish the moments. My kids 5 and 7 go to bed when I tell them but sometimes they are like aw mom or they'll fall asleep with me on the sofa like u guys and I try not to wake to long before they go into a deep sleep then I can not carry them. So I slowly whisper in their ear and tell them ok time to get into your beds then they wake up half sleepy and go to bed and I tuck them in and give a kiss goodnight. It works for me :)  Just give it time.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:32 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• LOL. i'm sorry but i can believe that PP. My son is 3yo & sleeps in his bed by himself. we have a routine. bath time, play/yoga time. say good night. potty & brush teeth. the last drink of the night. 1-3 books. a couple songs. i rock while i sing our special song. a night time blessing. ...then i leave. & he falls asleep. Try making a routine. Remain consistant. if the kids try to get out of bed remind them only the first time that it is time for bed ...& put them back (let them CIO) ...at first it may take several hours a night for maybe a week. But then after routine is established, they know what is expected & YOU PULL THROUGH ...it will be normal and easy. at 2 and 3yo they are more then capable of understanding when it is bed time & where they should be sleeping. Of course ...my DS doesnt just do all this by himself. But i dont have to sit in the room & watch him fall asleep. I only help with the routine. ...GOOD LUCK
    Anonymous

• Before the toddler beds I would just put my twins to bed and let them fall asleep. Since the switch they are able to get up and move around so that didnt work anymore. So I changed the routine a little, instead of reading a book with them in my lap like we used to. I now tuck them in and sit on the toy box in between (so I'm not next to one but not the other) and read out loud until they fall asleep. I even read my books, something I'm already reading. When they fall asleep I sneak out. It is much easier than putting them in bed and then going in to mediate every 5 minutes for an hour till they pass out.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Or you could put them to bed at different times. Obviously one is older then the other. If you put the 2yo down at 730 maybe put the 3yo down at 8. ...whatever works. That's how i do it when i'm babysitting my niece (6yo) and younger brother (4yo). My son is 3yo. He goes down first ...then a half hour later my brother, and then a half hour after that my niece. It works great for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2009