How to build a free website and link it to a paid domain name?

Hello, I'm hoping someone has done this and knows the answer!

I built a free website, and then bought a domain name, and it turns out that the free service that I used does not allow you to link your webpage to an outside domain name. However, I know there are places that will allow you to build a free webpage and then link it to a .com domain name for free. I just have no idea which ones allow it, or how to do it if they do allow it. Any input would be much appreciated!

sweetpea0809

Asked by sweetpea0809 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 29, 2012 in Technology

• You used to be able to do that with several sites, but they quickly found out they weren't making any money and stopped it. Yola was one. Have you tried Webs or Weebly?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:33 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Weebly is the one that I am currently using, but you have to pay to link to a domain name, and I know there are places where you don't. I will check out Webs and see if they allow it. Thanks!
    sweetpea0809

Comment by sweetpea0809 (original poster) at 10:35 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Weebly doesn't charge you to use your domain name. I use Weebly for mine, and I have a paid domain name. All you need to do is go into the settings, click "Change site address" and put your domain address there.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:44 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• I have a site on blogspot, but bought the name unfitparenting.com and had it redirected there. So it's still hosted by blogspot, but I own the domain.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 10:54 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Okay, cool, thanks! I was pretty sure I wasn't allowed to use my domain for weebly, but I am going right now to change my settings and see if I can get it to work!
    sweetpea0809

Comment by sweetpea0809 (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• This is embarrassing, but, I meant to say I used Wix.com, not weebly. I'm now using weebly, and have it linked to my domain. Thank you again!
    sweetpea0809

Comment by sweetpea0809 (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Well, even if you spoke (typed?) wrong in the beginning, at least you got it working! lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:21 PM on Nov. 29, 2012