What if your boss sent you home earlier than the 4 hour mark?

I told my boss last night that i am not feeling well and might need to leave at my 4 hour mark (because by law she has to pay me at least half of my scheduled shift) so in this case it would be 4 hours. so she sent me home at 3 hours and is not planning on paying me. so what do i do? i called labor board and they said i can file a claim which i am doing now, but i mean its a sticky situation, i dont mean to piss my boss off, she just is going against the law.
its only one hour, but i feel i need to be treated within the law
i even explained in detail my situation to the labor board and they said for sure she does need to pay me even if i was sent home early

lizzybee44

Asked by lizzybee44 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2012 in Money & Work

• She has to pay you for any hours worked. I would call your boss and inform her that you expect to be paid for the time worked, as required by law. I would then also explain that you have contacted the labor board and they confirmed that you do have to be compensated for the hours worked. Give your boss the option of paying you or you will file a complaint with the labor board. If she refuses, file your complaint and start looking for another job.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 1:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• seriously?
    you were the one sick
    I would think they have the right to have you leave and not infect other employees with out being slapped fo rmaking you leave.
    People like you in this situation piss me off, always wanting something for nothing.
    Anonymous

• If I understand this correctly, you were scheduled for an 8 hour shift. You told your employer you "might" have to leave halfway through because you are not feeling well. She does you the courtesy of calling in somebody else to cover the remainder of the shift, sends you home an hour earlier than you planned and now you are bitching about an hour's worth of pay? If I were you I'd just shut the hell up and be thankful you still have a job. I don't know what things are like where you are, but in my area I'd have a line of people waiting to replace you.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• you told her you were leaving. There is nothing you can do. I have nerv heard of a law where a employer was required to pay you so many hours in a day. Any employer can send you home early regardless of the reason and NOT pay you
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• She could find another reason to fire you, just because she doesn't like you. She can't make anything up but even if you're 5 minutes late one day she could use that as grounds for termination and only she and you will know the real reason why.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• You live in an at-will employment state? She doesn't need a reason. And even if she does need a reason, if you piss her off by doing this, she'll find one. Best case scenario, she starts trying to give you all kinds of sh*t jobs, and when you refuse to do them, she fires you for insubordination or refusal to do your job or something.

I don't get why you told her you might need to go home to begin with. I wouldn't have said anything, and if I decided I needed to go home, I would have just told her at that point that I was feeling sick and needed to go home.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• you told her you may have to leave, as a boss it would tell me that you were still sick
    she was letting you go home because you said you were sick, if you did not want to go home why say anything at all?
    Anonymous

• You worked three hours... you should be paid for three hours.

End of story.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• i guess so, thats why i left when she told me too so i wouldnt be fired for insubordination.
    so what could she fire me for then, for calling the labor board? no
    for filing a claim? no
    so for what then?
    lizzybee44

Comment by lizzybee44 (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Did she say why she sent you home early?
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 1:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2012