"Percentile"

So I posted the other day about being 36 weeks and 4 days-but measuring a week behind on my belly. So I had a scan and he was only measuring 35 weeks and 7 days but I'm supposed to be 37 weeks. They have him weighing 6lbs 1oz but are saying he's " small " to dates. They're not overly concerned but I am..days ago be was measuring the same as now yet that's not abnormal? I don't understand, and I'm really uncomfortable with this explanation. Can't switch docs or get a second opinion being this far. They also mentioned him being in the 26th percentile (no idea what that means)
The sonographer also joked that I was small so I don't cook them big, which I think is BS cos my daughter was big...her percentile at 31weeks was almost large for dates (90+). My fiancée is also not a small guy...so I don't see how that's biochemically logical lol.
Anyone have any input?
( i called and asked the actually provider to explain this all to me instead of the sonographer and haven't gotten a call yet today. )

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 2:41 PM on Nov. 29, 2012 in Pregnancy

• Actual **
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• My little man is measuring in the 36th percentile, which is "small"... they do NOT worry unless it is under the 10th percentile. MY boys were born at 8lbs 2oz and 7lbs 15oz... so this guy just may not be as big as the other 2. I am only 5' myself and doctor told me the same thing they told you. I wouldn't worry about it at all, he sounds good.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• My Son was 6 lbs 11oz when he was born. He was & is perfect & healthy so why are you worried? Every baby is totally different. Maybe you don't need so much information about dates/weights/percentiles. What can you do about it anyway?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• I wish they wouldn't tell me dates/ percentile etc personally. I think that's tmi for some people. I don't think his weight is an issue at all, it was the "he's two weeks behind" for a few now is what was concerning
    Cowbell88

Comment by Cowbell88 (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• My uterus is measuring 2 weeks behind but I have been told the same thing about that... 2 weeks plus/minus is normal, its when you get to 4 and what not that it is concerning. The ultrasound measurements are not completely accurate either, they are estimates. With my 3 year old (the 7 pounder) the tech said they may have to induce me because they thought he was over 9 lbs.... Your baby sounds great, I think they freaked you out for nothing.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• I would totally relax! My middle son kept measuring small (my belly size), ultrasound showed hed be little too. Which was freaky to me too cuz his brothet was over 8 lbs. He was 7 lbs 11 oz, 23 inches long when he was born and is 6'5" now! Dont freak mama! Your little one is fine
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Ultrasounds weights are really inaccurate. They can be off by up to 2 pounds in either direction. They told me my first baby was around 8.5 pounds, and he was 7 pounds 8 ounces. They told my friend that her baby was around 8 pounds, and he was 10 pounds, 1 ounce.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:17 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Percentile is where the baby falls on the scale of 1 to 100 compared to every other baby ever weighed at this age of gestation. (Remember you have conflicting info on that). . So....it's an average. I would be happy with the 26th percentile, thinking that I will not have a problem pushing that baby out!

Another way of explaining the percentile? I was "past" the 99th percentile on a biology test in my state when I was in high school. I did better than 99 percent of the other kids. Where did that get me? LOL.

As far as being "small"? As long as you are eating well, getting your protein, etc, he will be fine. Small or not. I do not believe "big" babies are healthier.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2012