baby has flat head

I am concerned about my little grandson almost 3 months, His head is totally flat. if he is viewed from front its fine , but from the side it s just awful. Will this go away? meaning round out? The Dr says more tummy time but not sure if it will be enough, I mentioned a sleep positioner but she did not think it is important.

tigergal

Asked by tigergal at 6:33 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the only way for it to go away is the sleep positioner and tummy time. it still has a chance to change. luckily with him getting a bit older he can turn his head more and that may help to round it out if she refuses to more tummy time and stuff. but it can still cahnge, it just need to be dealt with now
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 6:35 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• He's probably fine. Babies have skulls that are not fused yet and this can cause one side or another to look flat if baby prefers laying on a certain side. Just make sure he is put in a variety of positions during the day. Try a bouncer or swing also because there is less pressure on the head in a more upright position. If it doesn't look more normal at 6 months ask the pedi's opinion.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I have a niece and her head is flat also she is now 19 yrs. old the only time it was noticable was when she would wear pig tails other than that that is the way she stayed. Just have him wear his hair a tad long I guess. Don't point it out too much as he gets older he might get a complex.

But I can imagine how you feel, but he is healthy everywhere else correct? Just let it go....I guess.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I knew a girl that her baby got a sever flat head and her pediatricin turned her in for abuse and she got in alot of trouble because they said that is a form a abuse that the child spends entirly too much time laying down and not being held or whatever! I would tell them to take care of it now!! A sleep positioner is a great idea
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 6:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My son was the same way, and eventually it rounded out. He spent too much time on his back. With him, he liked to always be looking at me or fall asleep looking at me. So I changed positions, or changed his position so he had to turn his head if he wanted to see me. You can try doing that also by propping a pillow, alternating each side. And of course tummy time is important. Also alternate toys or mirrors that you attach to the side of the crib. Of course, the flat head is weird to look at but it does usually resolve itself. Be sure the pediatrician is aware of it, if he or she is not already. In some cases, their little neck muscles can get weak on one side.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 6:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Hold baby, tummy time, sleep positioner; basically do not keep baby in the same position for an extended period of time. Instead of putting baby in a car seat / carrier / bouncy / swing / crib either hold baby or tummy time or sit baby up and play, etc. They sell tummy time mats and they are worth the money. Boppy also has a tummy time boppy for baby, another great purchase. If it does get too bad they have helmets, doctors fit them and such, to get them back to 'normal' before it is permanent.

Anonymous

• If he continues to sleep on that side of his head, I've been told by doctors and nurses that it may stay that way up into his toddler years. When he's sleeping, just repostion his head to the other side or if you're watching him, let him sleep on his stomach.
    lilmizzie27

Answer by lilmizzie27 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I have twin boys who are 19 months old....Twin A has a flat head....and still does...
    Like other post says - TUMMY TIME! Also - when you bathe her and wash her head - use both of your hand and massage it back to mak e it round....do it every bath time.....talk to doctor - when baby gets to a certain age and its severe - the doctor will recommend a special helmet to re-shape the head so its not soo flat..
    jmartin571982

Answer by jmartin571982 at 10:20 PM on Feb. 11, 2009