Child Support Question

Just wanted to see how everyone else felt about this... I'm not sure what to think. About a year and a half ago my husband was ordered to continue to pay child support while is daugther went to college, as long as she stayed full time. After a year and a half of attending a four year college to be a vet she decided she doesn't want to do that and now will only complete an associates program to be a vet tech. Heres the kicker, none of the credits will transfer over. So we basically continued to pay child support for a year and a half for nothing. Also, the new program is completely online. My husband thinks for this reason that he should be able to stop child support because it is flexible enough for her to get a full time job. I honestly don't know what to think. They drug him through court and have treated him very poorly and I don't want to open up another court battle. What do you think? How would you feel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• If she's going to school full time, online or not, she can't get a full time job to support herself too. Part time, possibly but I'm guessing she's still living at home and mom is paying for her? IMO, the child support should continue until the child is at least 21 OR finished with school.
    _______________

Uhhh.. Really? apparently I didn't know that because I did it! I also paid for my own car, clothes, make up, books, insurance. But I didn't know it couldn't be done, so I did it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• There is a cut off in the court order, just before shes 22.. But I don't think she should be switching all over the place either. I get that she was educated during the past year and a half but we are paying child support for her to get a degree. The part that makes me mad is if one of our two children together want to go to college and we can't afford it, they can't take us to court and demand we keep supporting them.. No if we can't afford it they get loans and a damn job.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• A court order is a court order. The order doesn't specify a degree must result, it just says he must pay while she is a full time college student. If she is still a full time college student, the the order is still enforceable. As far as your own kids....sorry, but you knew he had child support when you married him. Yeah, maybe it sucks for your kids, but it's not their fault, and it's not his daughter's fault, either. This is the responsibility of the adults involved, namely your husband and his ex.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• "Uhhh.. Really? apparently I didn't know that because I did it! I also paid for my own car, clothes, make up, books, insurance. But I didn't know it couldn't be done, so I did it. "

I did it too, while supporting 3 kids - but I wouldn't expect or even ever want my child to do it. I am surprised that her husband is okay with cutting off child support and expecting/wanting his daughter to do that. I know it CAN be done, so maybe that wasn't a good choice of words but it's not something I want my child to do and my answer was framed with that in mind. I plan on footing a large portion of my kids bills until they graduate from college.

Answer by missanc at 7:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• I want my child to do and my answer was framed with that in mind. I plan on footing a large portion of my kids bills until they graduate from college.
    ___
    Not me. I will help when needed, but not without a good reason. My parents could well afford to send me, but I know I worked harder and was more careful with the money I was earning and spending because I did it myself. I wouldn't let them not be able to--I plan to help when needed, but I will NOT financially support them the majority of it. I have seen too many kids take it too lightly that way.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• He can petition the court.
    BeachMommy07

Answer by BeachMommy07 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• wendythewriter-what i said about my kids has nothing to do with me knowing what i was getting into or not. That was me expressing my frustration with the law!! I was full aware of the baggage I was taking on and am along for the ride every step of the way. And might I add i'm just as involved as my husband and his ex. When i said I do it became my baggage!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• missanc-Some people CANNOT afford to continue to pay for college. If my husband had an endless supply of money he would pay for the best schools and support her no matter what. He does not andhe does not! Some children have to work while in college becasue their parents are not well off. My kids will do the same unless situations change. It has nothing to do with not supporting or WANTING to "cut off" their children. My husband has always always always gone above and beyond for this girl. Some states automatically stop child support at age 18 no questiosn asked because they are an adult!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

I disagree with this. I went full time and had a full time job while I was in college. She is an adult and I think Iwould take the advice to see if there is a lawyer that will give you a free consultaion to see if it is worth persueing.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2012