Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Child Support Question

Just wanted to see how everyone else felt about this... I'm not sure what to think. About a year and a half ago my husband was ordered to continue to pay child support while is daugther went to college, as long as she stayed full time. After a year and a half of attending a four year college to be a vet she decided she doesn't want to do that and now will only complete an associates program to be a vet tech. Heres the kicker, none of the credits will transfer over. So we basically continued to pay child support for a year and a half for nothing. Also, the new program is completely online. My husband thinks for this reason that he should be able to stop child support because it is flexible enough for her to get a full time job. I honestly don't know what to think. They drug him through court and have treated him very poorly and I don't want to open up another court battle. What do you think? How would you feel?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2012 in Parenting Debate

Answers (19)
  • She can get a job now. I'd call my Lawyer & see what your options are.

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

  • The cs wasnt exactly for nothing. His child went to school, and was educated. She was fed, clothed, etc. She had life experienes that were valuable. If she goes to school online, and takes enough credits to be considered full time, a judge would most likely enforce the cs order unless it stipulates "at a four year institution". Online education costs money too so maybe the cs can help with that

    Answer by Nimue930 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

  • So what if she decides to quit THAT?? Is he going to be paying til she's 30?!
    She's what,20?
    It's time to cut her off. That's BS. She's an adult

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

  • I agree with Nimue on this one

    Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 3:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

  • Someone who is in their 20's is no longer a child. They are considered an adult at 18 in the eyes of the law if they commit a crime. They are old enough to fight for our country and they should be old enough to find a way to attend college.

    That being said the problem with getting a lawyer is that they may end up costing you just as much if not more then it costs to continue to pay the child support and the judge could rule against you and you still have to pay child support.

    Answer by baconbits at 3:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

  • If she's going to school full time, online or not, she can't get a full time job to support herself too. Part time, possibly but I'm guessing she's still living at home and mom is paying for her? IMO, the child support should continue until the child is at least 21 OR finished with school.

    Uhhh.. Really? apparently I didn't know that because I did it! I also paid for my own car, clothes, make up, books, insurance. But I didn't know it couldn't be done, so I did it.

    Answer by layh41407 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

  • A court order is a court order. The order doesn't specify a degree must result, it just says he must pay while she is a full time college student. If she is still a full time college student, the the order is still enforceable. As far as your own kids....sorry, but you knew he had child support when you married him. Yeah, maybe it sucks for your kids, but it's not their fault, and it's not his daughter's fault, either. This is the responsibility of the adults involved, namely your husband and his ex.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 5:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

  • He can petition the court. He should be able to at least get a limit on how long she can do this. She could begin that and change her mind again.
    I would be proactive and be the petitioner and not the one dragged before the judge though. It just looks better.

    Answer by Dardenella at 3:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

  • I want my child to do and my answer was framed with that in mind. I plan on footing a large portion of my kids bills until they graduate from college.
    Not me. I will help when needed, but not without a good reason. My parents could well afford to send me, but I know I worked harder and was more careful with the money I was earning and spending because I did it myself. I wouldn't let them not be able to--I plan to help when needed, but I will NOT financially support them the majority of it. I have seen too many kids take it too lightly that way.

    Answer by layh41407 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

  • I'm not well versed in family law, but I know that there are several attorneys who will provide a free consultation. Your best bet is to contact one and see if it's even worth going to court.

    Answer by ABeaverhausen at 3:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.