Is sex safe while already dilating?

I know this is a weird question, but is it unsafe to have sex if your already dilating. I know that sometimes it can take days and weeks to make it past 1 and 3 cm and so on, so is it unsafe to have sex if your already starting to dilate, and what if you don't know your dilating and you have sex, is that bad for the baby. Could it accidently break your water or poke the baby's head or something? This is something that crossed my mind the other day, and i also wondered if anyone else has ever thought about this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sex is fine until your water breaks.
    The sac is nice and strong and some dilation doesn't affect baby during intercourse. IF the water breaks from sex then it was weak enough to probably break anytime, anyway. (*Unless it is rough stuff, then... ?)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:10 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• If the doctor did not say stay away from it, then it's safe
    Anonymous

• I'm only dilated 1/2 a cm and my OB actually said to have sex to soften the cervix. But if you are worried I would ask your OB if it is OK.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 7:24 PM on Feb. 11, 2009