Living with family

I lost my job fairly early last yr in a mass layoff at my company. I've yet to find another job, and it doesn't look like that will change any time soon. Right now, it looks like I will be moving back in with my parents, b/c none of us can afford the mortgage on my house, given the situation. I'm feeling like a failure, like I've let my kids down, and plus, I'm losing my dream house. We built this house ourselves, it took us a few yrs to buy the property, get the plans, the loans, do the work and get it ready. The idea that someone else will live here just kills me.
So, to try to feel better about this, and to remind me that I'm not the only one that is struggling financially, I was wondering how many other people are living with parents, grandparents, siblings, whatever, due to the way things are these days?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• OP....I like tneeley's suggestion. We went through NACA in order to be able to stay in our dream home. Here is a site with a forum that I subscribed to with MANY people who are in the same situation you are in: http://www.loansafe.org/ Even if you are going into foreclosure you can still get help. NACA (www.naca.com) is a long standing organization the will help you get your interest rate LOWERED to what you CAN afford to pay. PLEASE PLEASE give them a call. If you want to contact me, please feel free. We were in the same position you were last August and I know the anguish you are feeling...
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 2:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• we moved in with my family for a few monthes before we move into a new apartment.

We wanted a chance to save up money incase one of us loses a job in the furture
    vampjaded

Answer by vampjaded at 6:50 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Never. I couldn't do that. My brother did that to my parents with four of his kids. They are now at an age where they should be out enjoying their retirement, not raising and putting up with kids. I say NO WAY! Thats just not fair to your parents or family. I know you can go to a weekly rate apartment or hotel. I am sorry but that is just unacceptable to do to anyone. I wouldn't even let my own children move back in. I could not expect anyone to take care of me. EVER.
    Anonymous

• some parents like the company. some parents don't.
    how do your parents feel about it?
    if they're loving and understanding, you should repay their kindness by keep on looking for another job and try to get back on your own again.
    if they don't like the idea of you moving back in...well, you still have to look for another job so you can try to find somewhere else to stay.
    it all depends on your parents and your relationship with them.
    some are cool.
    some are "18 & your out".
    look at your situation & go from there...also PRAY.
    it'll help you with the emotional side of things...and give you a better attitude with each new day.
    Good Luck.
    JANIKA66

Answer by JANIKA66 at 7:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I'm the OP....well, I should have known this was not the place to come to find people who are in a similar situation and could sympathize.
    First of all, anon, they are not taking care of me. I have savings with which I will be paying some of the bills, but I cannot afford the mortgage payment or rent. I will NOT take my children to any weekly rate place around here, they are all in bad neighborhoods that I will not subject my children to. As for it not being fair to my parents, THEY are the ones who told me to move in with them. And they are not raising my kids, nor will they be. I raise my kids.
    Good grief, all I wanted was to know I was not the only one in this situation, and all I get is a bitch who can't get her head far enough out of her ass to click the back button instead of jumping all over me.
    Anonymous

• You should try going to naca.com they help people nationwide. they are really good about saving houses. It's worth looking at.
    tneeley

Answer by tneeley at 8:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• If this was my son or daughter I would want them to move back in with me. Right now my son has a wife & two small babies and with his job right now not knowing from one day to the next if he will be laid off again he's thinking about joining the Air Force. But I had rather he move in with me with his babies. There is nothing like family helping one another when times are hard. That's what families are for. Not to judge you but the be there for one another.
    breezy2005

Answer by breezy2005 at 9:53 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I have my parents living with me because both of them are on SSDI and only get $1000 a month after everything is taken out for Medicare. It has its ups and down's to it. but they get to spend a lot of time with their grand kids
    Synaura

Answer by Synaura at 6:38 PM on Feb. 14, 2009