Your 3 yr olds bedtime

I have just started a new job and my daughters at a preschool and has to be dropped off really early. the first three days were fine this week however today was not. she use to goto sleep whenever since she was not really on a schedule for awhile. I want to get her back on a reasonable schedule. what time do you start bedtime routine. I usually pick her up at 5 and we come home and early around 6:00 ish. and than she wants a bath and than she plays and we start going up stairs to read a book and get ready for the next day. however, this usually ends up at least until 9-9:30 or later. any tips would be appreciated.

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 7:34 PM on Nov. 29, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• How early is early? My 3yo is up until then, but she up and at 'em by the time I drop her off at 8:30. If you really want to get her down earlier, my advice is no nap (she probably doesn't have one), and run her around as much as you can right when you get home. Then start your routine asap. Maybe simplify your routine gradually, too.

tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• My 4 yo goes to bed at 8 and sleeps until 7:30-8 the next morning. He's been playing all day so we don't play much at night. Supper, bath, pjs then play until 7:30 when we go to his room and start winding down reading books so he's trying to sleep by 8.

Answer by missanc at 7:44 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• I can't stop her from taking a nap because she is at school and because she is so tired in the morning she has been taking long naps. I work so we have to be out of the house by 7:15am so getting up at 7-8am wont work. I use to do it at around 8:30 but schedules got all shifted while i was in school. She went to bed at 11 last night and it just not good in the morning. so i am hoping i can get her into bed at around 8:30
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• It takes time for a kid to dramatically readjust their schedule (just like for adults) but you just have to set and stick with the schedule. She'll have trouble at first, but she'll start getting used to it soon. 8:30 is a totally reasonable time - that's about lights out for my 3 year old, too. In our house, dinner is around 6. He plays while I cook and clean up. When he takes a bath, we head up around 7-7:15, otherwise we go up at 7:40. Then it's PJ's, brush teeth, read, and I sing to him in bed. I know I can speed it up but we like the low-pressure easy routine. You will probably need to shorten/cut back on the night-time fun and maybe the morning stuff too. If you wake her up around 6, that still gives her 9 hrs of sleep at night + the nap at school, so she should be okay.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• yeah I tried last night and again it was a struggle and she went to sleep crying because all she wanted to do is play at night time. she went to bed at 10. so I have to do something because it can't continue.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 3:42 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Mine get up for preschool at 7 so they go to bed at 7:30 this way they get 11 hours of sleep, and no they do not take naps either. We eat supper around 530/6, do quiet time at 7 and in bed by 730.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 9:47 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• I just posted about this on the previous post. I cannot copy on iPad but maybe you could look there. My daughter went to bed at 7:30each evening . At this age they need 11 to 12 hours of sleep. Good luck.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• well, I thought she might of be a night owl like my goddaughter and but she is not. my goddaughter never went to sleep before midnight in her life and she is 19 now. but everyone is different. i believe 7:30 is way too early for her and it will just not work and she does have a 2 1/2 nap at school so i think she might be ok. I will just try to start earlier but i think if i just try to just get earlier and earlier and as she gets more use to school and the new schedule I believe she will adjust.
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2012