Just a teeny tiny work-related vent...

Is anyone else (besides the millions of unemployed people in the country) having a hard time finding a job? I know I am not entitled to anything, but I am just starting to wonder if going to college is pointless if you didn't go for tech, engineering or healthcare. I have been putting myself through school for almost 5 years while working full time and it feels like all that time and money was in vain. Mind you, I do have a decent paying job, but I want a CAREER. My job is boring and there is no room for growth or challenge. I have gotten some job offers, but they are paying the same or only a bit more than what I make now. The jobs that are paying more, well, I am not getting the offers. I am frustrated and it's getting to the point where I am just discouraged and down in the doldrums. I am filling out 5-6 apps per week and trying to do things like linkedin etc. Anyone going through something similar? Any advice?

hatagaj

Asked by hatagaj at 7:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2012 in Money & Work

• We have similar career goals. I will be going back to school soon to finish up my degree in business administration. I also want to get into a leadership role (in my current job I have a leadership role so that is going to help, but it is not permanent) and then training. I am hoping to get into non-profit but I am open to corporate jobs as well. I would look into the Chamber of Commerce meet and greet events. Also, check with your local United Way. Ours has a Young Leaders Society for 20-40 year olds. They meet once a month for a lunch meeting and they have a guest speaker (normally CEO's) from local companies. The more you network and get yourself out there the better chances you have of landing the job you want.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:11 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Do the similar paying jobs offer advancement opportunities? Maybe take a small cut to redirect yourself into your desired field? I understand your frustration. However, sometimes a side step puts you on a better career path.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• What is your degree/job in? What are you wanting to do? Is it possible to do some volunteering to gain more experience in your field of work? If not, how about networking opportunities. Have you attended any Chamber of Commerce events?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• I put myself through school twice, and I'm not doing what I studied for either time. I'm a little bored, but my bills are paid. I wish yu the best of luck. Now's a hard time to be getting out of college.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:58 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• My degree is a BA in Management & Human Relations. I currently work for a health insurance company. I would ultimately like to get into a leadership role and then venture into corporate training. This is something that could be done in any field. I actually just researched my local Chamber of Commerce yesterday. I guess I don't really even know where to begin. I'm just afraid that getting a more general degree was a big mistake.
    hatagaj

Comment by hatagaj (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Tessie some of them do and that is something I have considered. I want to gind a company I can be with long term. I just don't want to make the wrong career move because I have done that before and I ended up where I am now.
    hatagaj

Comment by hatagaj (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Maybe do some research on companies to find out which ones have a good record of hiring from within (good once you are in) and that have programs that would require positions like the one you want. There are online resources to help you make an informed decision about the type of corporate structure you can thrive in.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:26 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• JeremysMom our goals do sound very similar. I am also interested in non-profit, but I have had a leadership role and done training in corporate, so I am not opposed to that. I didn't know United Way offered those type of programs, so i will definitely check it out. Thank you all for the encouragement. I will continue to do research and try to find more networking activities. I know God has a plan for me, guess I'm just being impatient.
    hatagaj

Comment by hatagaj (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Not all of them have one and if yours does not, maybe you could get one started (something great to add to your resume). I can't remember how much it costs to be apart of the YLS in my area but all of the money goes to the programs through United Way.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• I am not doing what I want. I love my work but this field just does not pay much. I have to make a change and have been looking for the past year. Have you tried getting some certifications in something you are interested in? There are lots of professional certifications in all fields. Anything that gives you an edge would be great.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2012