when is the age to talk to your kid about sex

lyndieanne

Asked by lyndieanne at 8:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• when they start asking

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• When they begin puberty is a good time IMO. Before that I would answer questions as needed, but the "talk" came when my oldest began having bodily changes taking place that he didn't understand and was too worried about to ask me.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• About actual sex, or body changes and puberty? I would say talking to them about 4th or 5th grade about body changes and stuff would be about right and about actual sexual intercourse sometime during the 6th grade.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• talk about little things here and there as they grow up- use stuff on TV and the radio to start conversations, also things that are going on with their friends and such.
    I can't say my kids and I have ever had A "talk" we talk about things all the time...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:04 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• About 3 years before you think you should, otherwise they'll have already heard it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:13 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• When my kids asked about the tampons and pads in the shopping cart- I talked to them about age appropriate biology/ sex topics
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:18 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• DS and I have been talking about it for a couple years now. If he asks questions I answer them in a way he can understand.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:34 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• What I have done with my kids is give them the age appropriate talks..
    When they were 5 I told them only what a 5 year old needed to hear..more than that, and it would be teaching them out of their comfort zone.
    I have always told them whatever they wanted to hear. I felt if they are asking, rather than have somebody else putting things in their minds it would be better to hear it from me. My husband on the other hand, his mother gave them a book on the birds and bees rather than teach them! I just would never do that with my boys
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 10:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• If your child is nine I would say that you should have started the preliminaries already. If your child is a girl, you might want to give her that talk soon. If you mean relationships, then as soon as you see any change of interest, and I mean noticing that the other sex is cute or interesting rather than stupid or gross.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:42 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• I told my DDs about menses when they were about 11 years, but I've not yet told them about sex and they even don't know about pregnancy or child birth. May be my 2nd DD knows something for she is fond of reading magazines. But elder DD (16yrs) doesn't know.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 1:03 AM on Nov. 30, 2012