Would it be wrong to bring her with me ?

This weekend will be my younger two daughters' first full weeekend with their dad. Up til now we've just been doing Sundays and I've been leaving my oldest with my parents while I drop them off. She has a different dad. Anyway I'm feeling like I might be a total basketcase tomorrow after I drop them off and it might be nice to have her to talk to and distract me from my misery on the way home. But I don't want to cause any additional pain for her since she won't be going with them. So far she seems okay with the idea and knows they'll be back Sunday. Plus she gets to have two friends sleepover this weekend so she's excited about that. So...to bring her to the drop off or not?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 29, 2012 in General Parenting

• How old is your oldest?
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• How old are we talking?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• She is 6.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:57 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Tough call, but you know her best. Is she going to get emotional when you drop the others off? If she is then bringing her would make it even harder on you. If you do take her, you might go out to get breakfast together or do something just the two of you to get both your minds off of the others being gone.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:59 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• oh at 6 I think she can understand the situation. __ and __ are going to spend time with their father and lucky her she gets the house to herself AND a sleep over! does she see her father or is he not in the picture? Either way she is going to have to some day square with the fact her siblings will be spending time with their dad. You can't protect her from that forever.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• I think it would be fine. She has her friends to look forward to and she knows they are coming home. Occasionally I have to take my 2 and 4 yo's to drop off my older three at their Dad's. They don't like it because they miss them terribly, but are getting used to it. I think a 6 yo would understand.

Answer by missanc at 10:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• I don't think she'll get emotional, especially if I keep reminding her about the sleepover. And no unfortunately her dad has never been in the picture.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Then take her. I don't see a problem with it at all. She gets that they have a different dad.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:06 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Oh I think she'll be fine.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:06 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Thanks ladies. Now hopefully my parents will be on board lol they are so adamantly opposed to her being anywhere near that family.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Nov. 29, 2012