Now how does this work?

Been a while since we've had this one, so let's give it another shot. THIS QUESTION IS NOT IN ANY WAY A COMPLAINT ABOUT CM OR ITS MEMBERS. IT IS A DISCUSSION ABOUT HUMAN BEHAVIOR IN GENERAL ON THE INTERNET.  

You would never start a new job on the first day by telling your new co-workers they have an attitude problem or that they're doing their job wrong. You wouldn't meet your date's parents for the first time by waggling a finger in their face and accusing them of being rude to someone on the other end of the phone, especially when you can't hear the whole conversation. You wouldn't join a new church or book club or PTA group and introduce yourself by asking everyone why they're such bitches and why aren't they more supportive of you. You most certainly wouldn't show up to the neighborhood playgroup for the first time and butt into a conversation, immediately taking sides and telling one complete stranger they're right and the other that they're wrong.

So why the hell is it people come onto the internet, meet a huge group of thousands of new strangers, and do exactly that? This is hardly specific to CM, it happens all over the internet. I'm just wondering why it's so difficult for some people to figure out.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:08 PM on Nov. 29, 2012 in About CafeMom

•  Anonymity can go a long way in increasing a person's animosity. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:16 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• I think the answer is that anon button. I suppose if you could show up to a new job or the playground in a suit with a bandage for a head like the invisible man it might happen there too!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:16 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• The only possible reason is that even with a screen name they are not known to anyone and have no fear of a personal, face to face one on one meeting and so in their anonimity they can let out all the things they would never have the guts to say in a real life situation.

But that is JMO
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:18 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Tessiedawg, I don't think it has to do with the anon button. I wouldn't know you from Joe if I saw you walking down the street. We are all anon's unless you know someone in real life.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:18 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Because it's much easier to talk smack behind the anonymity of a screen name on the internet than it is in person. I kind of crack up when people bitch about others posting anon, like we all aren't technically anonymous!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• We are all anon's unless you know someone in real life.

Yes and no. I can tell you more about Staci's pregnancy than I can about my own neices'. There are people here I have talked to through some of the best or worst moments in their life, and was as much a part of it as the people they know irl. Dismissing the entire internet as "not quite real" is a dangerous habit.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• like we all aren't technically anonymous!

You might want to edit out the link on the screen cap you posted the other day if you want to remain "technically anonymous". It shows everyone your photobucket acct.

(not saying that to be catty - it's just another example of why this isn't nearly as anon and faceless as people like to convince themselves)
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• That is true. I have meet two people here on cafemom that I have not meet in real life, but I know a great deal about them.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:22 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• If I were to give this a shot I'd say they are apllying the philosophy of "Honesty is the best policy" (obviously that philosophy is skewed when posting anon). However they seem to often forget the philosophy of "Silence is Golden" which would appear to apply itself more often in face to face interactions.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2012

• Haha, does it really? Good to know, thank you. I don't think it has my name or anything tho....
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 29, 2012