Best development in US health this century?

Fast food workers walk out, demand unionization and $15/hr avg pay rate.

Think of the huge dent this could put in our obseity, cancer and cardiciac health crisis, and no nanny state interference is required!

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:00 AM on Nov. 30, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• 15.00 an hour!!! Hell, for that wage I'll flip burgers! LOL
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:13 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Me too, where do I apply!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:16 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• i wanna apply as well..

last time i worked fast food i was making 9.75 and hr and i thought that was high for fast food lol
    mampanda0422

Answer by mampanda0422 at 12:17 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Well I know I won't pay $20. bucks for a hamburger in oreder to support an entry level position.
    Heck I hardly go now because they can not figure out that a cheeseburger with pickles onle is supposed to include the cheese. If your abilities are that below the bar or you are that inexperienced, you better wake up and pay attention or you will never go any farther.
    Except for the managers those jobs were never intended tobe a fulltime job for someone supporting a family. They are stepping stone jobs..

If they don;t want to work and learn then someone else will or as NP pointed out somepeople might just be losing some weight.
    Note: few if anyone has been getting raises in any sector, except politics
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:21 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Just think, paying $18 or so for a big-mac meal! Oh hell no!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:06 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• If big business continues to outsource jobs, more and more people will be forced to work these type jobs. . The wages will have to go up. Something has to give.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• I do my best to avoid those places anyway. Sad that this would likely cause more unemployment. I agree with Dardenella though, these jobs weren't meant as a means to support one's family. These are jobs that people hold part time, years ago it was more common for teenagers to have these jobs, especially from the afternoon hours and in the summers.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:33 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• I don't eat fast food anyway. And like Quinn said, it would just cause more unemployment.

I don't get why people think a fast food job will support their family. Those jobs were never meant to. They are a stepping stone to something bigger and better. So if those people make $15/hr, then I should demand that medical records techs make more because I'll be damned if I'm gonna make the same as someone flipping burgers. Then if I make well over $20/hr, then nurses need an increase because why would they want to make as much as an office worker? Then pretty soon no one is working because companies can't afford to pay people such high wages.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• You know what's sad though... there are people who need that Big Mac sooo bad that they would probably be willing to pay $15 just to have it.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• "Heck I hardly go now because they can not figure out that a cheeseburger with pickles onle is supposed to include the cheese"

LoL! I know right?! Every single time I've ordered a cheeseburger plain it ended up without cheese! The last time I had fast food (over a year ago, I think) the dude at the counter at least had the sense enough to ask, "you want cheese on it though, right?" I had to bite my tongue in order not to be rude and say, "well DUH!"
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 30, 2012