Problems staying in bed and going to sleep

My DD is 3.5 and lately for the past 2 months she will tell me she is tired (usually around her bedtime) so I lay her down and about an hour later she will get out of bed just because she wants to play. Some nights I am up until almost midnight trying to get her to go to bed. I have another little one and Im pregnant. I dont know how much longer I can handle the constant lack of sleep. Any helpful suggestions??!! I have tried everything I could think of like warm milk, a night light, wearing her out and nothing has helped.

hdvorak20

Asked by hdvorak20 at 1:02 AM on Nov. 30, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried a bedtime pass? It works as a get out of bed free pass, but they have to give it to you for the night once they use it. The theory is once they get the idea that they have to use the pass, they hold onto it until they "really need it" and end up staying in bed. Here's an address (can't make it clicky, sorry) to a technical arcticle about it. I haven't tried it, but it looks simple enough and ladies in another group were saying it worked miracles. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1702334/ 

tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Is she having enough time to wind down in the evenings, bedtime routine etc?
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:26 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• goodness, bedtime pass, there is a gimick for everything these days!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• My DD1 is recently 4 and we have a 7:30 bedtime with a show or movie or 8:30 with nothing. Her choice and most nights its 7:30. IF she picks a show I usually (or DH) end up in with her reading a book and having a little chat but normally if she picks a movie she is asleep before it is over. I veto movies she doesn't know that well bc those keep her up but since she knows her favs so well she lays down and lets her self relax.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 5:59 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• BTW, how far are you in your pregnancy? Kids know change and you should take that aspect of her life changing into consideration. Maybe before bed do something with her, just you and her that has to do with baby prep or baby knowledge like no small toys on the ground and so on.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 6:01 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Is she napping during the day anymore? If so, maybe it's time to cut those out or very short.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 7:47 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Routine, brush teeth, bath and a bedtime story. Each time she gets up take her back to bed. No interaction. My daughter was in bed by 7:30pm each evening. After dinner we played outside or took a nature walk regardless of weather. Something about the evening air is very relaxing and helps sleep. Snack. Nice warm bath. Favorite stuff toy and a good bedtime story. Once the routine is set she will begin falling asleep on schedule. Good luck.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• She has a bedtime routine every night. I am 4 months pregnant and my DD is very involved in the pregnancy as well as getting ready for the new baby. She has had the same schedule for 2 years now and have not had any problems like this. Not even when I had my second daughter. On a daily basis she has about 2 hours to wind down at night.
    hdvorak20

Comment by hdvorak20 (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2012

• does she still nap? if so, stop that first!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2012

• No she does not nap anymore... That stopped a few months ago when I couldnt get her to wind down at night
    hdvorak20

Comment by hdvorak20 (original poster) at 1:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2012