Do you agree that there can be such a thing as name stealing?

When my friend was pregnant with her first child he had the name Catherine picked out but she had a boy so obviously Catherine went unused. She is very positive she doesnt want anymore children and I kinda like the name Catherine but as a middle name. Do you think she would feel as if I'm stealing the name she had chosen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2012 in Baby Names

• Ask her

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:24 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• You can't steal a name since she could still name a future child that. Most kids never use their middle name, so I think you'd be fine.

But feel free to ask her opinion.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:43 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• The whole name stealing thing is silly. When I was pregnant with my first, my sister very seriously warned me "You'd better not name him Ryan!" I wouldn't, both because it doesn't flow with our last name and because it isn't really a name that clicks with me, but I had to roll my eyes at the whole thing. She went on to have two sons, and didn't name either one of them Ryan.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:10 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Unless we're talking a "junior" there is no such thing as "name stealing".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• The only way you could "steal a name" would be to name your child catherine. With whatever her ideal middle name and her last name especially when she is due to birth her catherine in the next following months after you give birth
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 10:19 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• I think there IS. My cousin and I were pregnant at the same time. I told her the name I had picked out for a girl and when she had her baby girl a few weeks before I did, she named her the exact name I told her I was going to use. I had to pick another one. Some of you may think it's stupid to care so much about a name but to me, it's a very important decision that I don't take lightly and to have someone I know take that name and use it knowing full well I was going to, is just wrong and inconsiderate.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• When I was pregnant I wanted to name my son Dillon. My sister threw a fit because her son's middle name is Dylan. No one I know even knows her son's middle name. The whole thing was so weird. My mother even called me telling me I can't use that name because it's already used in our family!! I ended up changing names, but I never quite got over it. Too weird. People are possessive about names.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:43 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• I think, to a point, there is. I was still with my ex when we had our oldest. We had him, and 2 months later his unmarried sister had a son. She named her son the exact same name as mine. The only difference was that my son was spelled with a K and hers with a C in the first name. That irritated me, because whenever someone said my son's name, no one ever knew which kid they were talking about. And since she used the same middle name, and we all had the same last name, there was NO way to differentiate them except to say older/younger, which with only 2 months between them wasn't much either.

But what you're talking about isn't that big a deal. It's one name, and you're using it as a middle name anyway. That wouldn't bother me at all. But you can always ask her if it's okay, if you really want to make sure to keep things okay between you.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:50 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• I think there is. When I found out I was pregnant I told my husbands friends wife if its a boy I am using Conner. She was a a month a way from her due date and having a boy and she was telling me all the names she wants but wasnt sure about. Conner was not on that list. Then she had her baby and named him Connor. Even warned me not to use it because it would be to weird.
    Well I still used it because I wanted the name in the first place and didnt care she used it. Lets just say she no longer in my life :)
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• I think there is when I was having my 1st child I told every one my name I wanted my sil was. 1 month ahead of me .....and she namedher son the same name without telling me and I counld not namr mine the same name
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2012