Do you agree that there can be such a thing as name stealing?

When my friend was pregnant with her first child he had the name Catherine picked out but she had a boy so obviously Catherine went unused. She is very positive she doesnt want anymore children and I kinda like the name Catherine but as a middle name. Do you think she would feel as if I'm stealing the name she had chosen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2012 in Baby Names

• The whole name stealing thing is silly. When I was pregnant with my first, my sister very seriously warned me "You'd better not name him Ryan!" I wouldn't, both because it doesn't flow with our last name and because it isn't really a name that clicks with me, but I had to roll my eyes at the whole thing. She went on to have two sons, and didn't name either one of them Ryan.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:10 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Ask her

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:24 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• When I was pregnant I wanted to name my son Dillon. My sister threw a fit because her son's middle name is Dylan. No one I know even knows her son's middle name. The whole thing was so weird. My mother even called me telling me I can't use that name because it's already used in our family!! I ended up changing names, but I never quite got over it. Too weird. People are possessive about names.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:43 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Unless we're talking a "junior" there is no such thing as "name stealing".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• I think there IS. My cousin and I were pregnant at the same time. I told her the name I had picked out for a girl and when she had her baby girl a few weeks before I did, she named her the exact name I told her I was going to use. I had to pick another one. Some of you may think it's stupid to care so much about a name but to me, it's a very important decision that I don't take lightly and to have someone I know take that name and use it knowing full well I was going to, is just wrong and inconsiderate.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• Catherine is a common name it isn't like she was going to name her child moon baby and you took that or J- lol
    If she gets offended that is kind of silly
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• I think, to a point, there is. I was still with my ex when we had our oldest. We had him, and 2 months later his unmarried sister had a son. She named her son the exact same name as mine. The only difference was that my son was spelled with a K and hers with a C in the first name. That irritated me, because whenever someone said my son's name, no one ever knew which kid they were talking about. And since she used the same middle name, and we all had the same last name, there was NO way to differentiate them except to say older/younger, which with only 2 months between them wasn't much either.

But what you're talking about isn't that big a deal. It's one name, and you're using it as a middle name anyway. That wouldn't bother me at all. But you can always ask her if it's okay, if you really want to make sure to keep things okay between you.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:50 AM on Nov. 30, 2012

• For the sake of your friendship I'd let her know that you really like the name Catherine and want to use it as a middle name. If she gets a little testy you might consider saying it was in her honor to help smooth things over. If she gets seriously upset then you have to choose which is more important. Her friendship or the name of your unborn child.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• I think the idea of "name stealing" is ridiculous. How can you steal a name? There's always going to be at least one person out there that likes the same name as you. "How dare someone use the same name as I do!" It's so silly. If you're really concerned, ask her opinion, but don't give up a name you like just because someone accuses you of stealing it.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• You can't steal a name since she could still name a future child that. Most kids never use their middle name, so I think you'd be fine.

But feel free to ask her opinion.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:43 AM on Nov. 30, 2012