how can i put my baby to sleep w/o making him fall asleep on the breast?

i can't seem to put my baby to sleep w/o breastfeeding him and once i take him off he wakes up what can i do?

nancy121308

Asked by nancy121308 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• give him to dad!

My son seems to have a feed before sleeping with me..but if I feed him and get his dad to put him down, he just lays on him and falls asleep.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Since baby is so little just go with it, you are not creating any habits or doing anything wrong. It would almost be abnormal if baby did not fall asleep at the breast at that age. Congratulations for breastfeeding mama. You are doing a great job.

Anonymous

• Make a schedule and have the baby sleep with dad's help few times a week. Also make sure that you are not around when he makes her sleep, otherwise she will want to get back to you. This will help her to slowly learn to sleep on her own at the same time she will not miss her feeding all of a sudden.
    revathy

Answer by revathy at 7:21 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My daughter is 11 months and just recently stopped nursing to fall asleep. It takes a while. The way it was explained to me is that the sugar in your milk is so sweet it has the same effect on a baby that wine does on adults, it makes them groggy, happy, and eventually they just pass out..
    MsMESSx2

Answer by MsMESSx2 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My son is just getting out of it. Just try to keep him awake .. get him undressed, blow on him lightly when you see him starting to fall asleep, etc ..
    None of these worked for my son. Lol. So I just let him out grow it - didn't take too long hes 4 months now. Good luck
    InfectiousSmile

Answer by InfectiousSmile at 10:44 PM on Feb. 11, 2009